Why Is My Mmf Seem So Dry,

Decorating By Chonya Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm by newmansmom2004

Chonya Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 12

or rather, how do i get it more supple and plyable, it seems to crack on the edges? ANd this is my first attempt.

11 replies
Terri05 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:43pm
post #2 of 12

I don't know the answer but here is a bump for you.

AnitaK Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:23am
post #3 of 12

adding a few tablespoons to a quarter cup of white corn syrup with make your MMF more pliable.

Trixyinaz Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:25am
post #4 of 12

And it sounds like you used to much PS or didn't add enough water to the MM's when you were melting it. My recipe calls for 2 lbs of PS...the first couple of times my MMF came out great, but the last 2 times I made it, I used all the PS that it called for and my MMF was dry and cracked around the edges. Just made some today and used less PS and it came out perfect!

niccicola Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #5 of 12

I make mine with 1/2 cup crisco and also use crisco when I am kneading and rolling out. I'm gonna try the corn syrup next time...seems like it would work better

minicuppie Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 12

All those fixes work for me...but I will reserve 2-3 cups then check for stickiness after the resting period. Sometimes I need it (wet day) sometimes not (dry day). mimi

Chonya Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:56pm
post #7 of 12

icon_smile.gif Thank you, I will try that next time.

sayhellojana Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:12pm
post #8 of 12

Try Rhondas Ultimate MMF recipe. It calls for corn syrup and crisco. I like it very much icon_smile.gif
You can also add glycerine to it to help with pliability.

MacsMom Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:23pm
post #9 of 12

Ditto on the corn syrup - I actually use glycerine (it is less sticky).
I add 1 tablespoon per 16 oz marshmallows and 2 lbs powdered sugar.

Chonya Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:54pm
post #10 of 12

Im pretty new to this, Where do I find Rhondas recipe? and is the syrup/ or gly in place of the water or as well as?

thank you

sayhellojana Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:00pm
post #11 of 12

Here is the recipe :
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3183-1-Rhondas-Ultimate-MMF.html

The glycerine is in addition too. Rhonda's recipe has corn syrup in it. I don't usually need to add glycerine unless I've been rolling and rerolling with a lot of powdered sugar. Also - you can flavor it however you want. I use a ton of butter flavor in mine.

newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trixyinaz

And it sounds like you used to much PS or didn't add enough water to the MM's when you were melting it. My recipe calls for 2 lbs of PS...the first couple of times my MMF came out great, but the last 2 times I made it, I used all the PS that it called for and my MMF was dry and cracked around the edges. Just made some today and used less PS and it came out perfect!

I was going to say this very thing. I never use all the PS the recipe calls for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%