One Layer Or Two?

Decorating By kcmarie Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm by kcmarie

kcmarie Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:57pm
post #1 of 11

When doing sheet cakes, do you use one layer or two? With one layer, do you use 2" or 3" pan? Just curious.

10 replies
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 11

Sometimes it depends on what's common in your area. Around here, if someone orders a "sheet cake", they expect a single layer, rectangle, 2" tall, no filling, cake.

j-pal Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:12pm
post #3 of 11

It really depends on how many they're serving. Normally, when I think "sheet cake", it's a 1-layer, 2" deep cake. However, if they need more servings that a large 1-layer can feed, then I go with a smaller, 2-layer.

Melan Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #4 of 11

I rarely have a request for a sheet cake filled... it's usually a single layer 2" deep.

I like to fill my sheet cakes, it's unexpected so I like to do it when I make them for family or just for fun.

stephaniescakenj Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:25pm
post #5 of 11

I always make my sheet cake two layers with filling but if you order from a grocery store around here, you get a single layer torted and filled

CristyInMiami Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:34pm
post #6 of 11

I always thought that it would be 2 layers with filling, but now that I think about it, the grocery store ones are thinner then the ones I make.

I'm glad you brought this topic up. thumbs_up.gif

stephaniescakenj Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #7 of 11

yea see that's what I always thought, that they were two layers but I went to a birthday party recently for my daughter's classmate and it was either torted or else just two 1 inch cakes and it got me thinking and I realized that every sheet cake I could remember was always thinner than something I would make so I think they just make one layer and torte it.

kcmarie Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:19am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for all the reply's. This helps. I've only make a 2-layer sheet cake once b/c for some reason it looked really small. Here's another question.

What exactly does torte mean? I was never taught this term.

Thanks!

stephaniescakenj Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:27am
post #9 of 11

I use torte to describe taking a single cake layer and cutting it in half to make two layers so for example when I bake my cakes, I will make two 2" cakes and then torte each cake so my finished cake will have 4 -- 1" layers of cake and 3 layers of filling... Hope that makes sense.

sugarwishes Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:33am
post #10 of 11

I just made my first sheet cake. I used a 2" pan and thought it looks so small, so I made 2 layers and put a filling. It came out very nice.

kcmarie Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:22pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephaniescakenj

I use torte to describe taking a single cake layer and cutting it in half to make two layers so for example when I bake my cakes, I will make two 2" cakes and then torte each cake so my finished cake will have 4 -- 1" layers of cake and 3 layers of filling... Hope that makes sense.

Thanks! This helps alot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%