Too Much Or Too Little?

Decorating By CristyInMiami Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm by CristyInMiami

CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 8

I did this cake for a customer and i charged $98 for it. It serves 20-24, its covered in fondant with nutella filling. I also did the 3 orchids on the top. Do you think I over priced it or under priced it?
LL

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 8

What a pretty cake! I'll be honest with you, it seems a little much to me..with that said, you should know that I don't sell my cakes and I don't live in a big town. But if people are happy to pay that...then keep charging it. It's a gorgeous cake!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:39pm
post #3 of 8

From your posted local I'd say you were right on with the custom handmade flowers and that border is gorgeous too. I love the type lettering too.
Check around local prices for similar work and then look at what you charged. That'll tell you what people are paying for what in your area.
And remember to check places that sell on the high end and lower end to get a full demographic. But you also have to price for hat customers you are wanting, walmart shoppers or high end specialty store clientele...that also figures in your ability to charge what.

CristyInMiami Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks for the reply!

I charge $3 per serving x 24= $72

Plus $5 for the filling =$77

and then I charged $7 per orchid x 3= $21

The cake would have been $77 if it wouldnt have been for the orchids.

Here in Miami I've heard that they charge more per flower.

Callyssa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Callyssa Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 8

I think it's awesome! I don't sell my cakes so I know nothing about pricing, but just wanted to remind you that it's not necessarily what something is worth, as much as are your clients willing to pay. Someone obviously thinks it's worth it since they bought it. Did they comment on the cost, is that why you're questioning your pricing?

It is a fondant cake also, and you have it priced at about $4-$5 a serving which seems in line, if not lower than what I've seen other fondant cakes go for.

I love the Asian theme!

CristyInMiami Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #6 of 8

I've called around different place and deep down inside I know that I priced it reasonably. It happens to me everytime there is a pick up, I start doubting myself.

I know this cake took a lot of time to make, not so much putting the stuff on the cake, but more of making the stuff that went on.

The girl just picked it up and loved it! She said it looked just like the one in the picture she sent me. thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:54pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CristyInMiami

Thanks for the reply!

I charge $3 per serving x 24= $72

Plus $5 for the filling =$77

and then I charged $7 per orchid x 3= $21

The cake would have been $77 if it wouldnt have been for the orchids.

Here in Miami I've heard that they charge more per flower.

When you lay it out like that.. it makes perfect sense! BTW, all of your cakes and cookies look amazing! You're very talented!

CristyInMiami Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks!

I'm always looking to learn new things! Doing this has been really fun. I get to unleash all my creative energy! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%