What To Do When...

Decorating By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 8:02pm by SweetOccasionCakes

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 4

my icing isn't crusting good enough? I have iced the cake but it just isn't really crusting like I would like. Any suggestions? I'm sure there is probably NOTHING I can do, but you girls always surprise me!

3 replies
mabryant0212 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:55pm
post #2 of 4

put it in the fridge for a min or re ice the whole cake but add a bit of powdered sugar to your icing. you may have mixed the icing too long and the air in the icing is causing troble.

Cakepro Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 4

What do you want to do with your crusted cake? Smooth it with a paper towel?

If you are just looking to smooth it, you can try misting the cake with a fine spray of water and use a spatula to smooth. It gives a smooth-as-glass finish.

The icing likely needs a little more powdered sugar or cornstarch to firm it up, but air bubbles aren't going to interfere with the ability of the icing to crust. Air bubbles will leave "pock marks" in the frosting, which of course we don't want. icon_smile.gif

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:02pm
post #4 of 4

Yes, I need to smooth it out. I will try the water technique because it's too big to go in the fridge! Thanks ladies!

Quote by @%username% on %date%