Wasc - Why Is The Cake Mix Necessary?

Decorating By Bonniecakes08 Updated 15 Apr 2013 , 3:31pm by ddaigle

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:08am
post #31 of 72

Thanks for all of the advice. I am going to try out some of those recipes. Another quick scratch question... Do you have to moisten the layers of a scratch cake with syrup? or are some of these recipes moist enough that you don't have to do that? I would think that the syrup would make carving next to impossible. (sorry if I am hijacking the thread from the OP. I figure since everyone is talking about it already it makes sense to add it here than add a new thread. Thanks!)

Bonniecakes08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bonniecakes08 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:57pm
post #32 of 72

Hijack away Cuteums! I have learned so much from this thread. I just tried the WASC and it was really, really good. My 23 year old son stole a cupcake and said "These are awesome!" Usually, there is no comment! Now I'm going to try the chocolate version. Someone mentioned pink champaigne, pink lemonade, and others. Where can I find these recipes?

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:32pm
post #33 of 72

I'm an all scratch baker and I've never needed to use sugar syrups. The yellow cake I make (or vanilla as sayhellojana calls it) is nice and moist and takes variations very well!
http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7267-4-Easy-Yellow-Cake.html
I use the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box for chocolate cake and that is an insanely moist cake!! I recently tried replacing the boiling water at the end with some hazelnut coffee....oh my, hold me!!

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:38pm
post #34 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniecakes08

Hijack away Cuteums! I have learned so much from this thread. I just tried the WASC and it was really, really good. My 23 year old son stole a cupcake and said "These are awesome!" Usually, there is no comment! Now I'm going to try the chocolate version. Someone mentioned pink champaigne, pink lemonade, and others. Where can I find these recipes?

I made a pink champagne cake with vanilla mousse for a new years eve wedding this year and it got rave reviews. I just substitued half the water with pink champagne and a few drops of lorain champagne oil. I also added like a half of a drop of pink coloring.

I am also trying to find a good strawberry WASC recipe that doesnt use strawberry cake. (It just tastes too sweet). I have seen the jello recipes but it also just came out too sweet. I want a strawberry taste!

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:55pm
post #35 of 72

Whne someone asks for a cake, I do scratch. I can't see charging all that money for a boxed cake. Now I have tasted boxed cakes & boxed cakes that are doctored, they all have that "mix" tast to them, that is not my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I do like boxed cake mixes, I can always tell though. As far as syrup goes, it depends on what type of cake I'm making. I usually use syrup & the cake has the texture of box, but the flavor of scratch. But I will say I've never carved one before, though I do know a lady who does only scratch, never frozen (the only person I will order a cake from) & does carved cakes all the time & they look perfect! I don't know how hard it is for her, but she is one of the more popular cake persons in the area.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:15pm
post #36 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

I'm an all scratch baker and I've never needed to use sugar syrups. The yellow cake I make (or vanilla as sayhellojana calls it) is nice and moist and takes variations very well!
I use the recipe on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa box for chocolate cake and that is an insanely moist cake!! I recently tried replacing the boiling water at the end with some hazelnut coffee....oh my, hold me!!

I love that chocolate cake too!...
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:31pm
post #37 of 72

Serious_cake's recipe really is AWESOME. I use it all the time, for vanilla, lemon, orange spice, basically anything icon_smile.gif

I tried pink lemonade cake with a boxed mix (I wanted to see if I liked the flavor of lemonade in a cake). I took 1 white cake mix and used a whole can of pink lemonade concentrate in place of milk or water in the WASC recipe. I also added a bit of pink food color. It didn't turn out half bad. I'll probably try pink lemonade concentrate in place of milk in serious_Cake's recipe next, though. I prefer scratch

Bonniecakes08 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:04pm
post #38 of 72

How do you know how to change the flavor, just substitute the vanilla for the same amount of lemon or whatever?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:57pm
post #39 of 72

bonniecakes - yep. Pretty much. I also add a TON of lemon zest. Things like extra spices, zest, extracts - aren't going to throw off a recipe (or at least there is a very little chance of it). I also play with the liquid - which is a bit trickier. Sour cream in place of half the liquid in Serious_Cake's recipe makes it a tiny bit more sturdy but leaves the same yummy flavor. I do that if I'm stacking cakes.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #40 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1m

I have the "Confetti Cakes" book and the "Cakes to Dream" on book. Both of the decorators use scratch recipes that call for cake flour. Since my next goal is to try scratch cakes, I went and bought some. Boy is that stuff expensive!

I'd love to know how you like the recipes when you get a chance to try them. My experience with the recipes in the "Confetti Cakes" book is that they are AWFUL. I've tried a couple and they were dry, crumbly and just disgusting in the taste department. I was SO excited when I found the book and couldn't wait to try some of the recipes. Boy, was I disappointed. icon_cry.gif

I have only a few scratch recipes that have proven themselves to be worthy of the time and effort of a scratch cake and I enjoy making those. I do still use box when it comes to white cake tho. Just can't seem to find that really good scratch white cake!

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #41 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:

I made a pink champagne cake with vanilla mousse for a new years eve wedding this year and it got rave reviews. I just substitued half the water with pink champagne and a few drops of lorain champagne oil. I also added like a half of a drop of pink coloring.

I am also trying to find a good strawberry WASC recipe that doesnt use strawberry cake. (It just tastes too sweet). I have seen the jello recipes but it also just came out too sweet. I want a strawberry taste!

i saw in another thread - macsmom said she used one box of white/one box of strawberry to cut the sweetness.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:15pm
post #42 of 72
Quote:

Thanks for all your responses. I'm beginning to think that using the doctored mixes might be the best way to go. I always have to worry if my scratch cake is going to taste good this time, especially chocolate, as someone said, when chilled, it tastes dry and gets crumbly.

Try the Cake Mix Doctor book. I've found some good recipes there!

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:21pm
post #43 of 72
Quote:

I would prefer not to add the trans fats, and artificial stuff like propylene glycol monoesters of fatty acids???!! I'd

I use cake mixes and I just had to throw my 2 cents in here and say that "propylene glycol monoesters of fatty acids" are not artificial. They are naturally occurring chemical compounds. I agree that we may not need them and who knows what they do, but so many people are under the impression that these kinds of things are artifical when they are not. I just wanted to get that out there. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

ZAKIA6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:23pm
post #44 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious_Cakes

i am going to try this cake.
is it possible to sub oil for the shortening?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:30pm
post #45 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman

Quote:

I would prefer not to add the trans fats, and artificial stuff like propylene glycol monoesters of fatty acids???!! I'd

I use cake mixes and I just had to throw my 2 cents in here and say that "propylene glycol monoesters of fatty acids" are not artificial. They are naturally occurring chemical compounds. I agree that we may not need them and who knows what they do, but so many people are under the impression that these kinds of things are artifical when they are not. I just wanted to get that out there. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

Not to mention that the flour we use is 'enriched'. Bran is the life of the wheat. Bran out chemicals in. Check the ingredients on a bag of all purpose flour.

See like if the propylene glycol monoesters of fatty acids was named Crisco for cakes or cake fat acid or some other equally recognizable 'ingredient' then we would be ok with that.

Because the white flour and white sugar we use are highly refined products enriched with chemicals. So scratch baking isn't really as pure and set apart as it might seem. It's loaded with chemicals.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:39pm
post #46 of 72
Quote:

Quote:

You are going to laugh at me, but use a strawberry daquari mix. The bottled kind from Motts is the best. I use it in my BC when I'm making strawberry, and BOY is it Yummy!!!!!

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:47pm
post #47 of 72

Yup, I have the same problem with dry scratch cakes, particularly yellow cakes. But mine are in and out of the fridge over a couple of days before they get eaten. So now I do Red Velvet, carrot, banana, and the mayo cake (for small little cakes) from scratch. All the rest are doctored. Image

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:56pm
post #48 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by k8memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman

Quote:

Not to mention that the flour we use is 'enriched'. Bran is the life of the wheat. Bran out chemicals in. Check the ingredients on a bag of all purpose flour.

See like if the propylene glycol monoesters of fatty acids was named Crisco for cakes or cake fat acid or some other equally recognizable 'ingredient' then we would be ok with that.

Because the white flour and white sugar we use are highly refined products enriched with chemicals. So scratch baking isn't really as pure and set apart as it might seem. It's loaded with chemicals.

Thanks for understanding my point k8memphis!

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:01pm
post #49 of 72

I'm a scratch baker and I have a wonderful white cake recipe that can be used for carving. It's a wonderful cake and has never failed me. I've posted it here previously, but here it is again....I'm not sure where it originated, but it is wonderfully rich and stands up to most anything. Make certain you tap your pans (lightly) before baking or you will have air pockets.

12 Tblsp unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 C sugar
2 C all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
6 large egg whites (3/4 C)
3/4 C milk
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 (9 inch) diameter x 1 1/2 inch deep layer pans or 1 (12 x 9 x 2 inch) pan, buttered and bottoms lined with parchment or waxed paper.

Set a rack at the middle level of the oven & preheat to 350 degrees. In large mixing bowl, beat butter & sugar for about 5 minutes, until light & fluffy. Stir together flour, baking powder & salt. Set aside. Combine egg whites, milk & vanilla. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to butter mixture then add half the milk mixture. Continue to alternate beginning & ending with the flour mixture. Scrape bowl & beater often. Pour batter into prepared pan(s) & smooth top with a spatula. Bake cake(s) about 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center emerges clean. Cool in pan on a rack for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a rack, remove paper and let cool completely.

cuteums Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:04pm
post #50 of 72

Thanks for the recipe tips. I am definitely going to try the yellow cake recipe, and the hershey's cocoa recipe. Is that recipe on the unsweetened cocoa box or sweetened? Just curious. I am going to be experimenting with recipes over the next few weeks so this should be fun. My friends and family are going to be eating a lot of cake!

I love the variations too, I would have never thought of pink champagne, or pink lemonade. The daquiri mix for flavoring is a great idea. I never thought of that either. Just think pina colada buttercream, on a coconut, lemon or vanilla cake. Yum! I use french vanilla flavored creamer in my buttercream for the liquid and it gives it the best vanilla taste.

Oh boy and to think my diet started last week icon_biggrin.gif

If anyone has any other suggestions keep them coming!

cuteums Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:05pm
post #51 of 72

Ooh Bettina, I am going to try your white recipe too. Thanks.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:47pm
post #52 of 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyle

Quote:

Quote:

You are going to laugh at me, but use a strawberry daquari mix. The bottled kind from Motts is the best. I use it in my BC when I'm making strawberry, and BOY is it Yummy!!!!!

What a cool idea! How much do you use?

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 12:28pm
post #53 of 72

Hi 7yyrt

Thanks for the info on the US flours, I was way off, yes our self raising flour is normal white wheat flour with baking powder already added. I guess I was mislead by the term 'cake' flour.

Thanks Claire

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 1:28am
post #54 of 72

I absolutely LOVE the cake off of the back of the Hershey's unsweetened cocoa can! I could eat the whole thing myself! icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif I've just been concerned that it isn't sturdy enough for fondant although I did use it for a small fondant cake and it was fine.

I'm one of those that does both. When I first started decorating in 1990, I only made scratch. But, as we all are, I was busy and started using boxes for my practice cakes and took them to work. They all really like them so I stayed with them for a long time.

Now, I do different things. My carrot and red velvet cakes are from scratch. My chocolate cakes - well, I've made Hershey's from scratch and 2 different doctored mixes and everyone has liked all of them. Maybe you just can't go wrong with chocolate. thumbs_up.gif The white cake - once I tried WASC, that's all anyone ever wants! I'm beginning to get quite tired if it myself. My husband only eats white cake and he LOVES WASC. I haven't found a strawberry cake that really like yet. I made one from scratch that I literally threw in the trash after 1 bite and that has NEVER happened before.

I bought The Cake Bible and haven't had much luck with those recipes either. I'm going to try again though.

I would like to bake more scratch recipes but it depends on what I find that works best for me and what everyone likes.

Bonniecakes08 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:05pm
post #55 of 72

I baked the WASC cake and loved it. I just tried the WASC chocolate cake and was very dissapointed, it may end up in the trash too. The cupcakes are so light, they squish if you hold it by the bottom, and not much flavor. Has anyone else tried it? jToday, I'm going to bake the Hershey's chocolate cake. (No wonder my pants are too tight!!) Someone has to eat all this cake!!!

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:46pm
post #56 of 72

I'm sure this is old news but I get rave reviews on my Strawberry cake so I thought I'd share. I usually just add Strawberry preserves to whatever cake batter I'm making (wasc or vanilla). It makes it a little denser but it is so moist. I torte and fill with strawberry cream (made with either strawberry preserves or fresh strawberries) and it is my most requested cake. I eyeball the amount and just use the yummiest preserves on the grocery store shelf. It's a personally preference but you get quite the kick of strawberry and it's a more "authentic" flavor.

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:48pm
post #57 of 72

Oh--and I use margarita (not daiquiri) mixes too! Lime for a yummy "key lime" type cupcake and mango for a mango strawberry. So yummy! I use powdered mixes from the "Village Gourmet" line though.

Bonniecakes08 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 7:57pm
post #58 of 72

Alanaj, I have 2 questions for you. First you mentioned strawberry cream - how do you make it? and secondly, when you use the marguarita mixes, how much and does it replace some sugar? Thanks, can't wait to try these!

tiawanna02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiawanna02 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:20pm
post #59 of 72

I'm a 100% scratch baker, i find that if your making a chocolate cake use buttermilk and for a yellow or white cake sour cream in place of milk. My cake are never dry, i prefere scratch over boxes, it maybe a little more expensive but if you buy in bulk (flour, sugar, butter) theres really not a big difference. icon_smile.gif

pouchet82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pouchet82 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 8:44pm
post #60 of 72

I'd love to know how you like the recipes when you get a chance to try them. My experience with the recipes in the "Confetti Cakes" book is that they are AWFUL. I've tried a couple and they were dry, crumbly and just disgusting in the taste department. I was SO excited when I found the book and couldn't wait to try some of the recipes. Boy, was I disappointed. icon_cry.gif

- Really? I made the chocolate cake from confetti cakes and was told by many that it was the best chocolate cake they ever tasted. I'll have to try out the other recipes and see how they do

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%