Buttercream Question

Decorating By val_nutrimetics Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 8:49pm by Cakepro

val_nutrimetics Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,

I have a question about smoothing buttercream using hot water and a spatula. I have used this method in the past, but it only works out well for me when I am using white buttercream. Whenever I have colored the icing, the color runs. Does this happen to anyone else? If it does, how do you deal with it?

Thanks,
Val.

3 replies
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm
post #2 of 4

wipe the knife dry. THe metal will still be hot enough to do the smoothing.

When I first started decorating, Wilton put this hot-wet knife method in their books, but I notice it's not in their books anymore. Not even the hot-dry knife.

val_nutrimetics Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:46pm
post #3 of 4

Thanks! I'll try that next time. It's a good thing Wilton doesn't have this method in their books anymore, after all the ones I've read on this site there are obviously better ways! Now all I have to do is get over being nervous trying out some of the other ways! icon_lol.gif

Thanks again,
Val.

Cakepro Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 4

I teach my cake students two different methods to smooth their cakes when using a crusting buttercream: by smoothing with a Viva paper towel, and by smoothing with water.

You can use a fine misting spray bottle to spray your cake with room temperature water and then smooth with an offset spatula. The water allows the spatula to glide over the buttercream, smoothing cracks and seams, but does not melt the icing nor make colored icing run.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%