Home Phone Number On Business Card?

Business By bellatrixothersis Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm by sari66

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:02pm
post #1 of 8

I have located a source to rent out their kitchen and will go through all the legal stuff. On my business cards? Do I put down my personal home phone number..not sure I want to do that or would a business email work by itself?

Also, there was a forum for information baking in New Jersey which I can't find..any help there in finding that link

7 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 8

Do you have a cell phone you can use for business, leaving your home phone for personal?

ladybug76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladybug76 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:59pm
post #3 of 8

I am in the process of applying for zoning to bake out of my home (paperwork turn in yesterday... keep fingers crossed) and then onto Dept of Ag. Please don't quote me, but I recall my accountant telling me that I could use a portion of phone bill, internet, etc. since related to business. Obviously for myself since I will be working out of my home, I will distribute my home phone #, but in return submit bills (not total amount but percentage) during tax time. Possibly one advantage.
Also, where I am located the local phone company offers internal voice mail (rather than answering maching), which you can set up multiple voice mail boxes. If this option is available for you, you could always have it set up for callers to press 1 for your family or press 2 for "So-and-so cakes"... this way all business calls are separate from personal messages.
As far as New Jersey posts, here is what I found.... NOt sure this is what you were looking for, but thought I would try to help!! I searched and couldn't really find anything specifically on New Jersey.

http://www.cakecentral.com/article57-us-wanting-to-start-a.html

~~ Jaime

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 8

Trust me on this, I speak from experience... if you put your home phone number down people will call all times of day or night.

There will be no family time, and no sacred hours someone won't call.

They don't stop to think it's your home and maybe at 10pm the kids are asleep.

They see it as you work from your house and if they call they will expect you to answer and willingly help them.

I'd get a cell phone specifically for business and leave your personal home and personal cell # to exactly that.

I've been there and had calls at 1am on Friday nights and when I answer groggy they either say "oh my God I didn't realize you'd actually answer!" or when I'd answer they'd hang up then call back at like 8am thinking I don't have caller id.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 8

I do think you need more than just an email address. A lot of people aren't going to want to wait for you to reply, they'd rather call. I would put down a cell phone, whether you use one you have or get one specifically for business.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:37pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with the cell number, my suggestion is to get a prepaid that you can switch over to a contract when business picks up and your getting lots of calls. then at least is business isn't brisk right off the bat you won't be vested into a large monthly bill. JMO

bellatrixothersis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellatrixothersis Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 8

The all-hour phone calls --not what I wanted. Yes, I can do the cell phone, it's my best bet. And thanks for the NJ link..maybe the link I was looking for disappeared with the crash. Nice to know there is someone I can count on in a pinch!! Thanks to you all!

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:37pm
post #8 of 8

Yeah get a seperate number!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%