Chocolate Curls

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm by BeeBoos-8599_

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all,
This is my first time posting on this board. I was reading and see that alot of you saw the food netword challenge "birthday bombshell". I can see why alot of you did not like Normans cake but I want to do the chocolate curls on my best friends 50th birthday cake. SO, I just need some pointers on making the curls. I wan them to be short fat curls like the ones on Norman's cake. I would appreciate any pointers you may have. I intend on using white chocolate with pink marbled in. I have not decided on the cake shape probably a half sheet or a large round. it will be torted with 2 flavors so it will stand taller than normal but just one tier. TIA.

6 replies
snowshoe1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowshoe1 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #2 of 7

Hi - I took a class with Zane on the chocolate curls. They are a little tricky to make but once you get the hang of it, they are really easy. Here is how they do it (note: you can do the same thing using a potato peeler on a bar of chocolate but I haven't been able to get the curls to come out really tight on one end and open on the other using the peeler method):

- You can order the 'rose chocolate curler' from thesweetlife.com
- Melt white candy melts in the microwave on 50% power
- Pour some of the melted chocolate on a marble slab (its important to use marble so it cools better)
- Take a bench scraper (the 6" one works well) and begin moving the chocolate around the marble; use a light 'scraping' movement
- the chocolate will begin to take on a dullish look; at this time it is OK to start making your curls
- hold the chocolate curler tool in one hand by gripping it with a fist. Place the curler on the chocolate and in one motion, flick your wrist to one side sliding the tool along the marble. This will make a really nice curl with one end tight and the other end open.
- Stick the curls into buttercream for the look they acheived

Hope the above makes sense - its hard to describe the hand movement. The tool may come with instructions (?).

kissylips Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kissylips Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:03am
post #3 of 7

I wish someone would make a how-to video for this. I'd love to learn it too.

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:41am
post #4 of 7

In addition to the above- if you dont have a "tool" you can let the chocolate set. I freeze it if your workarea is warm and then use a sharp knife on an angle-with the sharp side of the knife being upper... and pull towards you, this makes tight curls. Avoid tocuhing the curls with your fingers, they melt! Good luck...
P.S. I just finished making a whole bunch for 2 black forest cakes I made today!!

mcdonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcdonald Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:53am
post #5 of 7

I wonder if Utube has a video about making curls.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:23pm
post #6 of 7

Here is a link to a video featuring Alice Medrich from the Julia Child Master series. Click on the "chocolate ruffle" segment - she shows making ruffles with a cookie sheet and a spatula. Amazing. No. I cannot make curls like Alice's icon_lol.gif but it is a starting point with ordinary equipment.

http://www.pbs.org/juliachild/meet/medrich.html#

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:26pm
post #7 of 7

WOW! thanks so much for the responses. Would the side of a credit card work for scraping the chocolate? I thought of this only beause that is about the width I want to achieve. I am assuming that I want the chocolate soft set and not fully set correct? Again, Thanks and I will let you know how it goes. If you want you can give me your opinion on what I plan to make for my BFF. I plan to do a home made (paula deens) red velvet half sheet and split it in half then put a dark chocolate fudge cake in the center and ice it in a cream cheese butter cream icing with the white chocolate/ pink marbled curls around the sides and pink cold porcelain roses on top.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%