?? For The Freezing Cake People

Decorating By babycakes73 Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm by glendaleAZ

babycakes73 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:14pm
post #1 of 5

Hi
This is for all you people who feeze their cakes after baking them. Do you buttercream and fondant them, while they are still frozen or do you let them thaw first?
Reason I ask, I am wondering if when you frost and fondant while still frozen, does this cause any condensation issues or any moisture problems??
Thanks for any info.

4 replies
prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 5

If you frost a cake while it is still frozen, when it finishes thawing, the icing will crack. Trust me, I've seen it happen many times! Not sure what it would do to the fondant. Always thaw before icing! You can stack and fill while they are still frozen, however.

leah_s Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 5

You can fill and crumb coat frozen layers, but don't go past that stage. Let them thaw from that point and then proceed.

babycakes73 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:05pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the info and will do.

glendaleAZ Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:25pm
post #5 of 5

I freeze my cakes with heavy duty aluminum foil. When Im ready to ice the cakes, I remove them from the freezer and place them in the frig to defrost. Once completely defrosted, I will put it put it back into the freezer for ½ hour to stiffen the outer edges, then take them back out to ice. (I do all this because it's easier to work with a cold cake).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%