Argggg! Just Venting

Business By loriemoms Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm by margaretb

loriemoms Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 17

This is the one time of year I do a lot of celebration cakes...and I long for wedding season. (I know, sounds odd!) The birthday cake people drive me nuts. A bride comes in, has a photo, or an idea or just wants something simple. Its either square or round or both and has buttercream and something pretty and here deliver it here at this place (where they are used to wedding cakes being delivered) and ok, here is the money, boom you are done. Even the "bridezillas" are easier then these people! People call or write and they dont know what they want. They say "birthday for my mom" They dont tell you how much cake they need or their theme or even anything about mom. So you gotta play the 20 questions with them. And then there are the ones that call on Wednesday for a cake for Saturday and say "I Just want something simple" and get mad when you tell them you are booked up. (what, did that person's birthday like CHANGE or something? You couldnt have called sooner?) Then it comes to time for pickup! You tell them here are my hours, what time should I expect you? Oh I will be there at 2. its 6 oclock, its time to "close" and no sign of them. Oh they will come tomorrow. (If you wanted the *&(^& cake tomorrow, then why did I bust my butt all day getting it done by 2 oclock?) It doesnt matter that they have already paid for it. I am a home baker,I am home anyway, right? No, I have a life too. WHY are peoplel like this? Oh and I include directions on how your cake will be package and please have room in your car. OH that doesnt matter, I will show up in my two seater convertable or bring my dog. My dog loves rides! (I am NOT kidding! I have had three customers who up with ther dogs in the car!)

ARGGG!!

Thanks, I feel better now. I tell you, it sure makes me a nicer customer to other businesses!!!!

16 replies
all4cake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 17

I know exactly how you feel. I get a little buggy when it takes longer to confirm details of a bd cake than a wedding cake...or a preview of what an eight inch round with flowers is going to look like...(wth???)

indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:31pm
post #3 of 17

I would MUCH rather deal with brides than I would birthday-moms. And the primary reason is they want a Duff cake at a grocery store sheet cake "..... it's just a birthday cake!" And they want to take up 4 hours of my time to plan a $80 birthday cake ..... a bride spending $500 only needs an hour of my time.

Call it what you want, babycakes, but as I say on my website, "If it looks like a wedding cake, it's priced like a wedding cake."

They also think everyone is 24/7 walmart. The party isn't until sunday so they want to pick up the cake on sunday. Hello? Do you see any open hours for sunday on my door?

tripleD Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

They also think everyone is 24/7 walmart. The party isn't until sunday so they want to pick up the cake on sunday. Hello? Do you see any open hours for sunday on my door?

hey men!! I get people calling on a Saturday eve. and want to pick up
the next morning. hey I have a family that needs me too. Of If you tell
them your booked.I have even had one offer to bake the cake if i could just decorate it for her.. hahaha get real...

loriemoms Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 17

hahaha! I am glad I am not alone!! I am not allowed to hang up signs at my home but you think they would mind if I put up a sign that says "NOT WALMART!"

Deb_ Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:00pm
post #6 of 17

I agree....these types of people are the ones that are used to "grocery store" cakes. The cake is an afterthought for them. They usually just grab a cake out of the case when they're buying the balloons and soda.

It's amusing in a way that they really think they can call a custom baker at the last minute and have us provide them with the cake they don't even know they want. Did that make sense ? icon_confused.gif

I guess the best we can do to save our sanity is to educate them.

P.S. An example of the general public's ignorance when it comes to baking~

I brought my GB house into my Salon, my clients wanted to see it. It was my first and took me about 30 hrs to complete. (in my pics). One lady said "Oh, you should sell those" I told her how long it took to make and asked her, for amusement purposes, what she'd expect to pay for it. She responded with "Oh, I'd be willing to pay $100 for it" icon_eek.gif
So not including supplies I'd be making a little more than $3 an hr. Sure, how many do you want?

Just proves that people who don't bake have no idea the time, effort and skill involved. I just walk away and shake my head............

loriemoms Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:06pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Just proves that people who don't bake have no idea the time, effort and skill involved. I just walk away and shake my head............

Oh I agree! I had a consultation with a bride and her mom. They asked when I bake the cakes I said for a Saturday delivery, I would bake the cake on thursday, torte and fill friday morning and decorate friday evening. The mother of the bride said to me "Can I ask if you bake our cake on friday evening? I want it as fresh as can be" I told her no. I guess they assume a cake comes out of the oven COLD, torted and filled and it takes us just 10 minutes to decorate?

I also think they seem to be forgetting we are trying to earn a living. I had someone ask me to not take any orders for the weekend of their cake so I could put all my efforts into thier cake. Sure, if you will pay my mortgage this month.

snarkybaker Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:29pm
post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Oh I agree! I had a consultation with a bride and her mom. They asked when I bake the cakes I said for a Saturday delivery, I would bake the cake on thursday, torte and fill friday morning and decorate friday evening. The mother of the bride said to me "Can I ask if you bake our cake on friday evening? I want it as fresh as can be" I told her no. I guess they assume a cake comes out of the oven COLD, torted and filled and it takes us just 10 minutes to decorate?

I also think they seem to be forgetting we are trying to earn a living. I had someone ask me to not take any orders for the weekend of their cake so I could put all my efforts into thier cake. Sure, if you will pay my mortgage this month.

I actually have a price for "owning the day" , meaning we do nothing else. It's $5,000. I have had people pay it, so go figure.

indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:04pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:

I had someone ask me to not take any orders for the weekend of their cake so I could put all my efforts into their cake. Sure, if you will pay my mortgage this month.

Let's send another Thank You note to the bridal magz and websites who tell brides "Find out how many other cakes they are doing that day .... you want them to TOTALLY focus on just YOUR cake that day!

The question isn't "How many cakes do you have booked?" The question is "What is your total booking capacity?"

txkat can handle more cakes than I can on a weekend, and I can handle more than a home baker who also has 3 small children to care for. So for a bride to ASSUME we can only handle one wedding cake a weekend just ticks me off! icon_mad.gif

But the "experts" at the wedding magz, while telling them WHAT to ask, never bother to explain WHY they should ask it.

Someone tell me how I get a job as an expert, just so I can get access to their office and smack the every luvin' snot out of 'em! icon_twisted.gif

all4cake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 17
Quote:

The question isn't "How many cakes do you have booked?" The question is "What is your total booking capacity?"

I think the question is more like, "Are you booked for the date of____?" If the decorator accepts the order, it is safe to assume he/she has room for your order.

loriemoms Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:19pm
post #11 of 17
Quote:

Someone tell me how I get a job as an expert, just so I can get access to their office and smack the every luvin' snot out of 'em! icon_twisted.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Tell me also why they tell the brides to ask when they bake their cakes, yet don't explain what the answer should be. I get that question every consultation and I want to ask them "When do you think I should bake the cake?" If I was a bride, I wouldnt ask WHEN they bake the cake, but what they do with it after it is baked. THAT is more important then when. Is it wrapped? Is it frozen? How is it frozen? Is just sitting out on a counter? Do they think we just right away take it out of the oven and decorate it? They also ask how I transport the cake. Um, on the back of a donkey. Next question....

I WISH they would put a panel of REAL bakers on these stupid magazines!! Especailly this Fake Cake and then sheet cakes to serve. I want to know WHO thinks that saves money?????? Who came up with that idea????

loriemoms Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 17

I have another question: I have on my invoice and they are told at time of booking that I require 48 hours notice for cancelations or full payment is still due. All orders require a deposit and most of them give me a CC number. If someone does not show up for thier cake and even after numerious calls, can I charge thier cake to thier CC and just give it to the homeless shelter, or whatever? (the deposit more then pays for my materials, but not for my time) What is the proper way to handle this? I luckilly havent had this problem since taking deposits, but I was curious...

cakesbycathy Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:10pm
post #13 of 17

If it is in your contract then I say you go ahead and charge the credit card. What you do with the cake is up to you.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:19pm
post #14 of 17

I am SO trying to get more into wedding cakes for these reasons! My name has been involved with sculpted cakes so long that I keep getting these orders...lately I've been following advice of CC friends and raising sculpted prices but so far have scared at least two big orders off this past week. One wanted a big sculpted cake with internal structure but couldn't afford the price...another wanted a big sculpted cake with a ton of matching cookies on sticks and I haven't heard back from that one either.

I suggested to the first one that we could do something a little more economical than the sculptured cake and she never replied. *shrugs*

PLEASE brides come see me! haha.

Claricakes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:01pm
post #15 of 17

Kitagrl..... I love your quilt wedding cake, your website is absolutly.....awesome and very self explanitory. not busy and overwhelmed like some I have come across. I Like it great job!

Kitagrl Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:06pm
post #16 of 17

Oh, thanks so much!!!!!

margaretb Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:58pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:

Then it comes to time for pickup! You tell them here are my hours, what time should I expect you? Oh I will be there at 2. its 6 oclock, its time to "close" and no sign of them. Oh they will come tomorrow. (If you wanted the *&(^& cake tomorrow, then why did I bust my butt all day getting it done by 2 oclock?)

Maybe you need a charge for not picking up the cake during your open hours or at the time stated.

At least two of the places where my husband gets welding supplies post after hours numbers on their doors and it's a $20 charge for after hours service.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%