How Can You Get A Chocolate Color Using Wilton Gels?

Decorating By death_by_frosting Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 10:26am by Cakechick123

death_by_frosting Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:26pm
post #1 of 5

I've tried mixing my brown wilton gel with others to get a chocolate brown so many times and have failed every time. I know, I know use chocolate icing, but the customer doesn't want chocolate flavor. icon_cry.gif Thanks for listening and any advice from you pros out there!

4 replies
tinabee Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:33pm
post #2 of 5

I made a chocolate brown by just using the brown coloring - I used Americolor though. I took quite a bit to get it a dark enough brown. Maybe someone else knows of some colors that can be mixed together to get a good shade.

death_by_frosting Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks tinabee! Maybe the Americolor is a bit different shade than the wilton one is. I'll pick up some of that next time I can. The local places only carry wilton. Thanks again!

mclaren Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:35am
post #4 of 5

how about starting with gray (a tad of black), then adding brown to the icing, would that result in a good brown?

i used wilton to get a brown before (once), but i used valuepride whip icing (the equivalent of bettercreme), and i did get the icing brown, but not chocolatey brown. haven't tried with BC though.

here's the shade of the brown that i got:

EDITED: ok, how do i add images into my post? i used the img button, added a URL link (now removed), but the picture didn't show.

Cakechick123 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 10:26am
post #5 of 5

yellow blue and red makes brown so you can try to add some of these colours. I had very pale brown icing one day and ran out of chocolate brown, so I started adding small drops of ea colour until I had a shade I liked.

Quote by @%username% on %date%