Wetv Cakegirls Question

Decorating By Moniquea Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm by tonedna

Moniquea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moniquea Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:52pm
post #1 of 14

I was watching a repeat the other day and was reminded of how the I saw them put fondant on a cake but they would attach the seam and then cut it with a scissor...

Anybody have any insight into that technique?

Just curious icon_confused.gif

13 replies
cakedivamommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedivamommy Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:50pm
post #2 of 14

I have no idea but here is a bump for you!

Moniquea Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:29am
post #4 of 14

I didn't see them do it but I cut fondant like that. Like a fondant ribbon or a seam for a purse or something like that?

They do this for laying sod too. (Yeah the green stuff on the lawn)

Just overlap the two pieces and cut them both at one time--for ribbons I like to angle the cut--remove the excess and smooth the join. Easy peasy.

Each piece is cut at the same angle so it matches perfectly.

Is that what you meant?

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:45am
post #5 of 14

wallpaper seams are also done this way.

Moniquea Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:18am
post #6 of 14

Well, what I saw was fondant smoothed over a square cake. Once the top and sides were stuck instead of pressing and forming the corners they pulled the excess together and cut it away off of the edge of the corner of the cake with scissors. Then they pressed the fondant together to form a seal with their fingers.

I'm not sure I'm explaining correctly icon_redface.gif I just can't imagine that corner have a sharp edge or looking finished without the finger imprints...

If you understand or have seen it maybe you can explain the why and how... I'm always up for learning something new icon_biggrin.gif

TFL thumbs_up.gif

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:20am
post #7 of 14

I saw the episode. I believe she is talkng about covering a square cake. Instead of doing the corners first, the cut the corners but never showed what they did to make it look nice and neat. I imagine this gives sharper edges but I don't know how to do it either.

Moniquea Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:03am
post #8 of 14

Thank you for your reply icon_smile.gif

I went to the web site but found no tutorial or mention of it. Oh well, maybe I'll see it somewhere else and then I'll post it here thumbs_up.gif

Best wishes!

-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:10am
post #9 of 14

Oh the jewelry ring cakes all stacked up?? They cut those fondant corners off underneath but they had flat fondant squares all dried and ready to applyto that initial covering of fondant so the corners were all perfectly square and neat and tidy.

That one?

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:16am
post #10 of 14

I saw that one, too. It was beautiful.

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:28am
post #11 of 14

That is the one I'm thinking of, I'm not sure if its the one the OP is, but I didn't see any other episode where they use a square cake. k8memphis, I totally forgot until you mentioned that, the colors when the cake was done were completely different. So what, they cut out kinda like panels to the right size, and placed each one on the square cake separately after it dried?

-K8memphis Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:32am
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugar wishes

That is the one I'm thinking of, I'm not sure if its the one the OP is, but I didn't see any other episode where they use a square cake. k8memphis, I totally forgot until you mentioned that, the colors when the cake was done were completely different. So what, they cut out kinda like panels to the right size, and placed each one on the square cake separately after it dried?

Yep, exactly.

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:32pm
post #13 of 14

Ohhhhhh. Now I get it. mimi

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:53pm
post #14 of 14

They cut the corners like that on the episode of the ring boxes, That was not the finish product though. AFter that they covered that with squares of either of gumpaste or fondant that were fully dried to give the boxes a really square look.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%