Please Help Me Convert Dry Egg Whites For This Smbc Recipe.

Decorating By dessert1st Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 11:19pm by dessert1st

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 3

I am trying to make Swiss Meringue Buttercream for the first time. I purchased Ehh White Solids at a bulk store, but their directions are confusing. The general guideline says 1 part Egg White Solid & 7 parts Water. Then below it says "6t & 1/4 cup & 2T = 3 Fresh Egg Whites". Huh? That seems like 3 ingredients to me.

What do I mix to get the equivalent of 20 Egg Whites?

I will be using this recipe posted here by jkalman:

20 large egg whites
4 cups of sugar
12 sticks of room temp unsalted butter
6 TBSP real vanilla (which I didn't add because I am making some of it chocolate so I will add the vanilla after I remove some)

Thanks so much!

2 replies
MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:06pm
post #2 of 3

There's a typo in there.

Google for egg white volume and calculate.

dessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessert1st Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:19pm
post #3 of 3

I don't have the brand "Just Whites" but I'm guessing it's the same as the bulk ingredient that I bought. Below is the info I found on Google. Since no one seemed to have it here, I thought I'd share. icon_smile.gif

1. Use the table below to determine the amount of Just Whites and water to use:
For 1 Egg White - use 2 tsp. Just Whites + 2 Tbsp. Warm Water

For 2 Egg Whites - use 4 tsp. Just Whites + 1/4 cup Warm Water

For 3 Egg Whites - use 2 Tbsp. Just Whites + 6 Tbsp. Warm Water

For 6 Egg Whites - use 1/4 cup Just Whites + 3/4 cup Warm Water

For 8 Egg Whites - use 1/3 cup Just Whites + 1 cup Warm Water

For 12 Egg Whites - use 1/2 cup Just Whites + 1-1/2 cups Warm Water

2. Add Just Whites to warm water. Let sit for 30 seconds. Stir gently for 1 minute giving the powder time to absorb all the water. Continue to stir until completely dissolved. For best results, use a whisk. To obtain foamy, soft, or hard-peak stage, use an electric or hand-mixer, as you would for fresh egg whites.

3. Just Whites can be added to dry ingredients in any recipe calling for egg whites. Just remember to add water or fruit juice in amounts specified in table above to any liquid (including water) called for in the recipe.

The shelf life of Just Whites is a minimum of five years. A Julian code date is used on the canisters - the middle three numbers will be the day of the year the product was packaged on. The second number in the code indicates the year. '0' being 2000, '1' being 2001, etc.

Store in a dry place. No refrigeration required. Salmonella Negative - Pasteurized for Safety

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%