Why Did This Happen To My Mmf Bow?

Decorating By KitchenKat Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 6:41am by KitchenKat

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:39am
post #1 of 3

I had my first fondant bow disaster. On wednesday I made the bow loops out of MMF plus about 1 tsp of tylose per fist-sized ball of MMF. Everything turned out okay. On Thursday the pieces were dry and hard. On friday I noticed that some pieces were moist again. Thinking it might be because they were drying near the air conditioning blower, I moved them to another place and thought, it'd be okay. That they'd dry out again. When I went to put together the bow today I was horrified! The loops had become as soft as freshly rolled fondant. Ugh.

I assemble my bows on top of the cake so I just stuck them in anyways. The held up for a while then got all floppy. Sick.

This cake is for a friend's son. It sucks!

Anyone care to guess why this happened? It's been raining off and on. I used a local brand of marshmallows, not Kraft. Those are the only 2 variables I can think of.

Please help me CC sleuths.

2 replies
mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:03am
post #2 of 3

the moisture in the air is a pobably the problem... I live in the south and have learned to add a bit more sugar than call for in my fondant because you can never tell when it is going to rain... if you do this just pop your fondant in the microwave for about 15 sec per hand full andwork in an extra tbs of sugar to each ball. this makes it harder to roll out so I would pop it back in the microwave and then while it is still warm roll it and a sugar dusted mat... I hope this helps some.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:41am
post #3 of 3

Thanks! That's probably it. I noticed my MMF was kinda soft while I was kneading it but let it go cos I thought the tylose would harden it up.

Anyone else have any theories?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%