Need Help Altering A Recipe

Baking By brandywinecakes Updated 4 Feb 2009 , 5:01pm by Jayde

brandywinecakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:49am
post #1 of 3

I have been using the Whipped Cream Buttercream recipe from the recipe section for about a year and love it. I have not been able to find anything that tastes this good. However, I have a few complaints I'm hoping someone can help me with.

1. It will crust, but ever so slightly. It calls for meringue powder. If I add more will that help it to crust more?

2. It is very soft, making it difficult to work with. I have been practicing sugarshacks method, but it seems that I can't use this recipe with her method. The icing is so soft that I can't add much more than I need because it will droop, making it difficult to get the sharp edges. It also liquifies/melts when touch with a hot spatula. I realize that I could add powdered sugar to it to thicken it up, but I'm worried it will be too sweet if I do. Maybe I can add more salt to counteract it? I also worry that it will no longer have the whipped texture.

I am going to try these things the next time that I make it, but I thought I'd post here first and see what might come of it. I may be asking for the impossible. icon_rolleyes.gif

2 replies
JanH Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 6:28am
post #2 of 3

The Whipped Cream b/c is a great, but soft frosting. icon_smile.gif

(Whipped frostings don't crust. (Neither do the meringue b/c's.)

You can probably alter the recipe to make it crust by adding a lot more powdered sugar but then it will no longer be WCBC..... icon_sad.gif

HTH

Jayde Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 3

Pretty much what JanH said... The whipped BC just is more for taste, you could still use it as filling, but you should have a strong and sturdy BC on the outside if you are going to decorate.

You should try IndyDebi's crusting icing recipe. I base my BC off of her recipe, with a few tweaks to personalize it. Everyone loves it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-6992-Indydebis-Crisco-Based-Buttercream-Icing.html

Sometimes trying something new is the only way that you are going to find out what works for you. Give it a whirl.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%