Ever Have A Day Like This...?

Lounge By kellertur Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm by kellertur

kellertur Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kellertur Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:47am
post #1 of 17

Today was one of those days... almost funny now that DH and I look back...

We woke up around 6am to this~

~ our 8 yr old roof was leaking into bathroom (thankfully the tub) due to melting ice...

~ our recently fixed snowblower wouldn't start

~ our PUR water filter was leaking water all around our sink

~ the window in the livingroom was also leaking due to the melting ice

~ water was seaping in through a crack by the door

~ my mother called, but that's another story. icon_rolleyes.gif

~ the guy that came to fix the ice dams rammed his plow into our garage... luckily it only nicked the siding and he offered to repair it.

** Ever see that movie "Prisoner of 2nd Ave" with Jack Lemmon?
I think that's where we were headed until the roof guy came... icon_rolleyes.gif

Things got better after the roof guy came.... and luckily we have a good sense of humor to get us through this stuff... icon_rolleyes.gif

We're laughing now... but what a day!!! icon_lol.gif

16 replies
summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:24am
post #2 of 17

This is when I thank God that I am in Texas. A few years ago my DH almost was transferred to MN and I said NO get a new job! I want nothing to do with snow blowers, melting ice, shoveling snow...yuck!

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:50am
post #3 of 17

That was yesterday. I went to look at a kitchen to rent possibly. I got stuck getting out of my own street. I was dressed nice and had my leather high heeled boots on. I walked home got the shovel and shoveled my van out while freezing. The kitchen was alright but I think I'll probably have to keep looking. Went to drop off some herbal tea and such to my sick brother and his family. I got stuck in his driveway. I decided just to put it in reverse and floor the sucker. The tires where smoking practically but I got the van out. We have about 14 inches of snow so I was pretty soaked at that point.

Today I woke up and got the kids ready for school. Drove them there just to find out that school was canceled. Had 4 kids mad that I woke them up when they had no school. I'm so sick of snow!

TX sounds really good right about now. K2, how's about we go surprise
summernoelle at her place?!

kellertur Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:44pm
post #4 of 17

Sounds good to me... I've never been to TX.

The things is, I LOVE Maine winters, but lately the ice has just taken over everything. icon_rolleyes.gif

summernoelle Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 17

Y'all are welcome any time! As long as you help me with my baking....

mkolmar Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 17

No issue there. I'll help. I'll even help clean the kitchen afterward too.
Just get me out of this snow!

yankeegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yankeegal Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:37am
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by K2cakes

Sounds good to me... I've never been to TX.

The things is, I LOVE Maine winters, but lately the ice has just taken over everything. icon_rolleyes.gif

This winter has been dreadful!!! The ice, the snow, the power outages-UGH! I can't wait for spring!

Sorry you had all of this happen. My DH is so paranoid about the roof he has shoveled it with every storm. I have not been able to find a roof rake around here.

Hang in there! Sending lots of warm, melting sunshine thoughts your way!

summernoelle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:54am
post #8 of 17

Yes, but it was 70 degrees today! Gorgeous!

kellertur Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:43am
post #9 of 17

Thanks Jodie! icon_smile.gif
Have you tried Home Depot? We hadn't been able to keep up with the ice dams...(it's like an entity). My DH was using a great trick where you stuff calcium chloride into pantyhose and toss them onto the roof. (kind of a "time release" thing), but even with that they took over.

In the front ~ it was like we were living on that ICE planet from Empire Strikes Back... our whole front was encased in ice before the roof guy came. I kept waiting for that dreadful "banther" creature to show up. icon_lol.gif

I think what the guy did will help ~ he dug gouges into the ice (v) so the water just started pouring off the roof. As long as we RAKE after every snow, I think we'll be ok.

I need to go skiing and enjoy this bounty of snow... that should take my mind off the negative aspects. icon_rolleyes.gif

summernoelle Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:56am
post #10 of 17

Definitely sending you warm wishes...spring is on its way!

mkolmar Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:17am
post #11 of 17

We call those things the chemical snake K2. We have to use that on our roof also because we have a deep valley in one part.

We went sledding today with the kids. My 3 year old son fell off his sled and was rolling around like a turtle stuck on his back because of all the layers of clothes. It was so funny. I couldn't help but laugh.

70 Degrees........yeah, sounds just horrible.....yeah, that's it. Horrible. Gorgeous weather you say.....well, that's just GREEEEAAAAT. No really, I'm happy for you. We'll have 70 degree weather too...one day...many months from now. Many cold icy months from now. icon_cry.gificon_lol.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:25am
post #12 of 17

A few years back I went to Switzerland and they were trying out a technique on new housing. They were installing those thermal heaters, (like the kind you put under your floors) on the roofs. It seemed to be helping with the ice dams as I recall. I wonder why they are not improving on that type of technique here in the United States. I hope you are not out of electricity for too long. Sending you warm wishes for and early Spring.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:46am
post #13 of 17

My mother in law, a snowbird from Iowa who lives in South TX for 6 months every winter, sent me this picture when we had an ice storm here in Arkansas. I'm not sure where it was taken, but I don't want to live there:
LL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:50am
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeegal

This winter has been dreadful!!! The ice, the snow, the power outages-UGH! I can't wait for spring!

16 yr old daughter was commenting on how bad it was ... she couldn't remember this much snow in one shot before. I reminded her that we set a new record for snowfall with this storm. Anyway, I also reminded her that I TOLD her the winter was going to be bad.

I read cornfields. Around the 2nd or 3rd week in August, if the ears of corn are hugging the stalk really tight, it's going to be a bad winter. If the ears of corn are kinda hangin' loose, it's going to be a mild winter.

I've never seen ears of corn holding on so tight to a stalk before in my life!

My grandfather farmed his entire life and he absolutely believed in reading cornfields.

mkolmar Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 2:28am
post #15 of 17

That's what some of the farmers around here where saying Indy. They kept saying "It's gonna be a hard winter this year", and that was back in the fall. I bet they where reading the ears of corn too.

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 5:45pm
post #16 of 17

wow
I live in south florida and lately ive been moaning and groaning about living here (been here almost 18 years).

I will shut up now.
Its 72o outside today and tomorrow the high is gonna get down to a chilly 65o.

kellertur Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:29pm
post #17 of 17

Well, I've got to laugh because now I just tucked my kid in for a nap and went to get the laundry...

It's baaaacccckkkkk~ the water, I mean. icon_rolleyes.gif Ice dams melting, running down the stinkpipe (or whatever they call it) right down into the basement onto my washer/dryer wires. When it rains, it pours... literally. icon_lol.gif

Well, atleast I get to live in my own version of the Frank Lloyd Wright home~
I call it: "Falling Waters: version 2.0"

We've got to our sense of humor about these things... icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%