How Do I Cut The Pieces For A Mini Cake?

Decorating By JessDesserts Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 3:52pm by minicuppie

JessDesserts Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:22am
post #1 of 8

This is the size I'm referring to:

I want to make cakes, but since i'm a 'cupcake gal' icon_cool.gif . of course I want them to be mini. I think they're just so darn cute icon_wink.gif

Anyway, im pretty sure I know how to decorate them the way I have in mind, im not sure how to cut them so they're uniform.

Is there a big cookie cutter? Big meaning maybe 4 inches on the bottom and then 3inches for the middle and 2 for the top? ( thats my best guesstimate)

Or do you measure with a ruler and hope you do i the same each time?

I cant wait to get started, so any help is greatly appreciated.

TIA.............Jess icon_razz.gif

7 replies
Metabea Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #2 of 8

not sure if this is anything like what you would want but they are a mini 3 tier cake... this site is awesome I've ordered from them a few times. Scan through the website to see if there is something if this isn't your interest.

JessDesserts Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:15am
post #3 of 8

thanks Metabea, thats a pretty cool cake pan!

The only issue I have with that is it limits you to only one shape all the time. Well, I guess you could cut off the top tier or top 2 if you want a change. Thanks again Metabea.

Anybody have any additional suggestions?

TIA ( again )


prterrell Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:15am
post #4 of 8

Yup. You can bake them so that the whole cakelet is one piece that looks like three tiers using a pan like what Metabea linked to or you can get a set of graduated round cookie cutters.

JessDesserts Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #5 of 8

Hi Prterrell! I wasnt sure if it was really as easy as that. Conceptually, it sounds easy anyway, i am well aware it takes tons of practice.

I wasnt sure if there was some 'special' way to cut mini cakes.

classiccake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:37am
post #6 of 8

You can by a tin that holds an entire nesting set of cutters in different shapes. The round cutters come in about 8 nesting sizes. They are not real deep, but they should work. Also look for biscuit cutters. They come in different sizes and are deep....often with a handle on top.

tony_sopranos_ebony_girl Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:29pm
post #7 of 8
minicuppie Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:52pm
post #8 of 8

I use a water glass with straight sides to cut mini cakes from the large cake. I just measured all my glasses until I could graduate by 2in. I also use a glass or a clean can to cut fondant. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%