Help Please!!! I Have Somehow Messed Up Antonia74's Ri!!!

Decorating By mirda6275 Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm by FromScratch

mirda6275 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:59am
post #1 of 16

Not sure what I did wrong! I followed the directions exactly from the recipe and the 'icing' I'm getting is super thin and runny, not standing up to anything at all. I tried to make another batch, thinking I was too 'loose' with my measurements, even added an extra scoop of powdered sugar and the same thing happened!

Did I do something wrong or is it supposed to be that runny?

icon_mad.gif

15 replies
panchanewjersey Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:12am
post #2 of 16

You can always thicken it by adding more sugar, I just did it and loved it. I think it was just right, maybe it's just getting used too, it should be a little runny not watery it just makes it easier t work with.

johnson6ofus Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 16

I bet some accidental grease. Any grease with egg whites is a killer...

mirda6275 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:28am
post #4 of 16

I scrubbed the kitchen aide and dried it completely before mixing the RI. I added 2 C. extra powdered sugar to the 2nd batch and it seemed stiffer. When I put it in a (new) disposable piping bag it still dripped out the #4 tip, but it wasn't running. I covered the batches and am taking a break from it. The first runny batch completely dripped out of the #1 tip all over the counter and floor icon_evil.gif

I don't need much, i just need to ice small details on cookies. Should I be using another type of icing?

johnson6ofus Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:31am
post #5 of 16

Small details? I like pure royal icing--- good old Wilton recipe. I do add a TINY bit of corn syrup or eatra water for the perfect consistancy.

I only use Antonia's or Toba's for large areas or flooding...HTH

mirda6275 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:49pm
post #6 of 16

Thanks, starting fresh this morning. I guess I'm off to the store b/c I killed off my merangue powder and powdered sugar between Icing and Cakes last night. What I tried with the A74 RI doesn't look horrible, maybe will try on bigger cookies, just happy I was willing to try something new (i fear change).

yeah cookies!

johnson6ofus Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:06pm
post #7 of 16

I looked at the recipe again, it is more or less, the standard Wilton one. It should work. The only "failure" I have ever had is grease. Also, no plastic. You need to mix in a metal or glass bowl, and I limit the use of your plastic scrapers. Hope it works now... Good luck.

mirda6275 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:31pm
post #8 of 16

i used my mil's kitchen aide (metal bowl, metal paddle) that I scrubbed. maybe I overused spatula/scraper trying to get the ps in the mix. The second batch worked ok for me, but I added LOTS of extra ps. Maybe I did my math wrong. How many cups of ps are in 2.25 lbs?

hammer1 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:43am
post #9 of 16

you really need in invest in a set of scales. i scaled out the powdered sugar for this recipe that everyone on here uses and it turned out fine...powdered sugars are different too. good luck

mabryant0212 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:00am
post #10 of 16

Try tobas cookie glaze... it will set up shiny

mirda6275 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:22am
post #11 of 16

I managed to get the RI to work enough for what I needed (icing teddy grahams red and black for a superbowl football cake), but I'm interested in trying Tobas glaze.

Do you have a recipe for it? I couldn't find it in the recipe's section.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. I am going to go out and get some new air-tight containers for the R.I.

mabryant0212 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:28am
post #12 of 16

I like this better it has a better taste than the other... I add just a dash of butter flavor and almond flavor... hope you try it soon it is really good ad it will get hard you just have to let it set up for 24 hours...

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2119-Toba-Garretts-Glace-Icing.html

FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:33am
post #13 of 16

2.25 pounds of PS is a small (2 pound) bag plus a cup. I use my scale, but it takes a 2 pound bag (which is ~ 8 cups) plus another cup.

Did you let it whip for 10 mintes? It must whip for that long to come to full volume. I use it all the time for details and I love it since you can just plop it in the mixer wand walk away for a bit. If anything it usually needs to be thinned a bit.

mabryant0212 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:35am
post #14 of 16

I feel like a big dummy this is actually the recipe thaqt I like best... it really has a nice flavor.

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3763-Trishas-Sugar-Cookie-Glaze.html

minicuppie Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:26pm
post #15 of 16

I have always been taught to use corn starch for emergency thickening of RI. Something about sugar drawing any available moisture to itself....but I agree with everyone that there was a grease/oil incident. I wash everything in really hot soapy water then wipe down with lemon juice. I also have a set of RI spatulas kept and washed seperate from the rest of the tools. A PITA but after one bad outcome, worth it. mimi

FromScratch Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:52pm
post #16 of 16

It's easier (and cheaper) to use white vinegar to rinse your tools and bowls to remove trace grease. I have some in a spray bottle for this purpose. It also works great to clean windows and mirrors.. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%