Williams Sonoma Train Cake Pan

Decorating By lolobell Updated 12 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm by nyc_via_pdx

lolobell Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:09am
post #1 of 2

Hi all! I recently purchased the NordicWare Williams Sonoma train cake pan to take the easy way out on my nieces birthday cake! Have any of you used it??? It's the one with the 9 different train cars that come out ready to decorate. I just wanted some good ideas on how to decorate it. I know, the possibilities are endless but being so new at this, I like seeing things to get ideas.

Thanks,
Mar

1 reply
nyc_via_pdx Posted 12 Feb 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 2

I just used this pan for my son's Birthday and it worked great! I used the recipe that came with the pan. It is a simple vanilla cake that goes well with all the candy decorations. I used a spray oil with flour to rally coat the pan and then followed the directions . Definitely do the step where you use a sppon to bring the batter to the top edge. It seems to help get the batter into the forms.

For decorating I used a simple butter frosting thinned with milk. I colored it with India Tree vegetable based colors. My husband and i used the disposable piping bags with 2 sizes of small stars and 2 sizes of round tips. It's fun and easy to decorate because you can just highlight the details that are already there from the molds. We embellished with sprinkes, used chocolate chunks for the coal, used gummy snakes for the logs, and loaded the freight cars with gummy bears and candy covered sunflowers. We used natural coated chocoalte candies (M & M size) for the wheels and small vanilla cookies for the larger wheels on the engines. We used licorice for the track.

The cake was fun to make and the kids were thrilled. Even the 8 and 9 year olds were thoroughly impressed.

Hope this is helpful and just have fun.
LL
LL
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%