Cookies With The Dough Colored And Decorated....?????

Baking By cookielicious Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm by bobwonderbuns

cookielicious Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:01am
post #1 of 12

While doing a search on yahoo for Valentine's Day cookies, I found some that were just beautiful and I have NO IDEA how they were made!!!! Has anyone seen sugar cookies that had the dough part decorated with different colors? Like it was baked in... And I mean intricate designs too! Not just mushing a few different colored doughs together.

11 replies
toleshed Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #2 of 12

wcgirl
do you have a link that you can post for us?

CakeDiva73 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:18am
post #3 of 12

I saw some somewhere and they looked like they had been cut out, embossed (design seemed stamped on top) and then were painted prior to baking. They looked awesome.

tastyart Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:31am
post #4 of 12

I have a recipe to make cookies that look like watermelon slices without frosting. It uses colored sugar cookie dough. Does that sound like what you are talking about?

Honeydukes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 12

Without seeing them I can only guess.

You can color your dough and cut out shapes -- a heart with a smaller heart inside and switch the doughs. Like this:
http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b255/wltee/Pastry/?action=view¤t=VBCookies.jpg

You can paint your cookies with Egg Yolk Paint.

1 Egg yolk
1/4 - 1/2 tsp of Water
Color Gel/ paste

Mis together and paint your cookies before baking. If your paint gets thick, add a little more water.

I like to use baby food jars for this.

cookielicious Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:04pm
post #6 of 12

I wasn't sure how to post a pic, but here's a link:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/speckledegg/2265864230/

mandifrye Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #7 of 12

Those ARE awesome! Do you think that painting (like with the egg yolk listed above) would work? I would love to know how those are done as well.

Bumping this up for sure!
Mandi

Honeydukes Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 6:30am
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandifrye

Those ARE awesome! Do you think that painting (like with the egg yolk listed above) would work? I would love to know how those are done as well.
Mandi

Egg yolk painting does work -- YRMV. THOSE cookies were done with edible wafer paper. I just received an order from Fancy Flours with that exact design, among others. I also got the angels and they're gorgeous!
http://fancyflours.com/pinkyellowgreen-wafer-paper.html

To get similar results, you can flood and fill-in various colors. Or you can go the easy route and buy the EWP. icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 12

I have a cookbook that shows doing this. Cut out round cookies. Then with green colored dough in a piping bag with about a #5 tip, just do a rough christmas tree (I used a left-to-right, back-n-forth motion to make the tree). Then dot with red dough balls for tree decors. Bake. They come out beautiful. A lot of work, though!

mandifrye Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 2:33pm
post #10 of 12

Thank you Honeydukes! I ordered some just now! I can't wait to try these. They are a bit pricey, but I think that they are worth it! I am going to attempt the egg white paint just to see if that produces an acceptable alternative!

Thanks again!
Mandi

cookielicious Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:11pm
post #11 of 12

Cool! I learn something new every time I get on this site icon_smile.gif Thanks for the replies!

bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:10pm
post #12 of 12

Also if you go to www.kitchengifts.com Leslie has video tutorials on coloring cookie dough and decorating with it. You might check that out as well. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%