Fell Off

Decorating By sweetbn Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm by emrldsky

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:47pm
post #1 of 6

I decided to do a chocolate buttercream basketweave the other day before I went to work. So when I woke up the next evening and peeked at the cake all my hard work was slumped to the bottom of the cake. On one hand it was funny, but on the other not so much. I did this technique with plain white buttercream before and it didn't do this. Any ideas why this may have happened? I did store it in the fridge, but I did the same with the other and didn't have any problems at all. The cake still tastes good though icon_smile.gif

5 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:57pm
post #2 of 6

I feel your pain. The ONLY time I experienced decorative work sliding down the sides is when I accidentally used 0 transfat Crisco. I found out that was the cause of my problem from postings here in this website. The icing really performs better when a higher ratio shortening is used. I've been lucky enough to find lots of original formula @ my local Wal Mart and stocked up.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:00am
post #3 of 6

I had that problem this summer on a wedding cake I did (DEFINITELY not funny icon_mad.gif ). Anyway, it was about 105 degrees, and 75% humidity, and my icing just slid down the sides.

I ran to the computer, and asked for help in the forum, and discovered that meringue powder helps.

I think it might also have been the new Crisco.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

sweetbn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbn Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:19am
post #4 of 6

The meringue powder might be the cure. I completely forgot I used that in the white recipe and not this one, boo. Certainly wouldn't be funny if the cake were for someone other than me thumbsdown.gif

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetbn

Certainly wouldn't be funny if the cake were for someone other than me thumbsdown.gif

Definitely not! That's the beauty of practice cakes! The other great thing is that the mistakes usually taste as good as the real thing! icon_biggrin.gif

emrldsky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emrldsky Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #6 of 6

Did you put a layer of buttercream underneath and if so, did you let it crust first? I had that happen to my Wilton cake because I let the layer of buttercream underneath crust over before I did the basketweave. I just don't think it wanted to stick to itself. Also, it can happen if your buttercream is too soft.

Either way, happy practicing!! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%