Chocolate Shaver?...does Anyone Have One?

Decorating By sillywabbitz Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 2:26am by klutz

sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:43pm
post #1 of 3

I saw 2 different chocolate shavers on Sur La Table's website...says it will make chocolate curls for you. Has anyone ever used one? Are they worth the money?

I love the cakes with chocolate curls on top but I can never make then quite right. Thought this might help.

2 replies
klutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutz Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:25am
post #2 of 3

I have a chocolate shaver, but can't remember which brand. Before that i used a regular potato peeler. The best tip i could give you is to make sure your chocolate block is a little soft. I don't even have a great way to do this, except put it in a warm oven for a couple of minutes. When it's slightly soft, the chocolate curls around itself, instead of just shaving off. The chocolate shaver is definately easier on the hands.

klutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klutz Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:26am
post #3 of 3

I have a chocolate shaver, but can't remember which brand. Before that i used a regular potato peeler. The best tip i could give you is to make sure your chocolate block is a little soft. I don't even have a great way to do this, except put it in a warm oven for a couple of minutes. When it's slightly soft, the chocolate curls around itself, instead of just shaving off. The chocolate shaver is definately easier on the hands.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%