When You Say "macaroni"......?

Lounge By indydebi Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 1:39am by pastryjen

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:46pm
post #31 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

When I say macaroni, I make macaroni and cheese. I have never thought about making macaroni w/o cheese as a side dish. Noodles are just a vehicle to get cheese/marinara/alfredo sauce into you mouth.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif that is hysterical! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

HEck, sometimes when I'm watching tv at night, I'll make up a batch of plain macaroni (whatever shape happens to be in the pantry) with some butter on it. Some people eat potato chips ... I eat macaroni. icon_biggrin.gif

SS385Monte Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SS385Monte Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:53pm
post #32 of 43

In my house if we're having macaroni for dinner it means a casserole dish full of macaroni (cooked), tomato juice, and either cut up hot dogs or spam! Sometimes we'll sprinkle some cheese in it, but just a little bit. I don't think I even had mac and cheese until i was in my teens.

krysoco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krysoco Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:31am
post #33 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

I don't think I ever say just "macaroni"
It's either macaroni and cheese or pasta.

Ditto for me.

I think most ppl round here would assume macaroni mean w/cheese.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 12:51am
post #34 of 43

I have never had mac w/butter in my life. I *always* think mac & cheese but then I always would say mac & cheese.

bigsisof3kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bigsisof3kids Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:24am
post #35 of 43

YOU are right, Indydebi...We here at my house all call it macaroni and cheese. Except the 2yo, he calls it mermaids and cheese, LOL! He just can't say the word 'macoroni.'

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:41am
post #36 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsisof3kids

YOU are right, Indydebi...We here at my house all call it macaroni and cheese. Except the 2yo, he calls it mermaids and cheese, LOL! He just can't say the word 'macaroni.'

LOL

Everytime I hear or see the word "mermaids" it makes me think of that Cher movie. So now I'm sitting here laughing and thinking of Cher and Winona Rider w/cheese. *SIGH* It's been a long day.

icon_lol.gif

lindy01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindy01 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:11am
post #37 of 43

well at home macaroni is just palin old macaroni.
at my work in the kitchen, macaroni and cheese, gets called out as macaroni.

so i must be a tie icon_smile.gif

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:47am
post #38 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

He sounds like my husband! One time we went out to eat and he ordered this "Cajun Fettuccine" dish which I thought was strange, because it has a tomato sauce which he hates. So when he sees it he's all confused giving the "WTH is this?" face.

He saw the word "fettuccine" and thought only Afredo sauce came with that, lol.

I must say that being a Cajun, the only Fettuccine that we are known for is Crawfish Fettuccine. It is full of Velveeta Cheese sauce.

I just ask my dh what Macaroni means to him and he said "just noodles". Then after I explained what the topic was about he says, " well, when you have spaghetti you expect sauce with it, so I'm with him".

I say Mac & Cheese or Pasta with butter or sauce. I just tell him if he wants something different, then he is welcome to cook. icon_smile.gif

krysoco Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 7:36pm
post #39 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

He sounds like my husband! One time we went out to eat and he ordered this "Cajun Fettuccine" dish which I thought was strange, because it has a tomato sauce which he hates. So when he sees it he's all confused giving the "WTH is this?" face.

He saw the word "fettuccine" and thought only Afredo sauce came with that, lol.

I must say that being a Cajun, the only Fettuccine that we are known for is Crawfish Fettuccine. It is full of Velveeta Cheese sauce.

I just ask my dh what Macaroni means to him and he said "just noodles". Then after I explained what the topic was about he says, " well, when you have spaghetti you expect sauce with it, so I'm with him".

I say Mac & Cheese or Pasta with butter or sauce. I just tell him if he wants something different, then he is welcome to cook. icon_smile.gif

I hear ya!. Ohhh girl that's sounding good. If I ordered fettuccine and it came w/o cheese, I'd be mad too. LOL What part of La. are you from?

dldbrou Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:03pm
post #40 of 43

krysoco, I am from Scott, Louisiana. It is true Cajun Country. New Orleans is thought to be Cajun, but in fact they are Creole, not the same as far as food is concerned. They tend to have red sauce instead of brown. They also fry with cornmeal instead of flour. Just a couple of examples. Where I am located we are know for our boudin. I do not like it when I travel and some restaurant claims Cajun dishes that are totally wrong. When we try to correct the dish with the waiter, they usually shrug and say it's Cajun as far as they are concerned. They could at least buy a cookbook on Cajun Food and try to replicate them instead of fabricating them.

dldbrou Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:03pm
post #41 of 43

Sorry, double post

krysoco Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:16am
post #42 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dldbrou

krysoco, I am from Scott, Louisiana. It is true Cajun Country. I do not like it when I travel and some restaurant claims Cajun dishes that are totally wrong.

I think I'm about an hour from you. I'm around Mamou.

I know exactly what you mean. I dont think there's anyone who can replicate those true Cajun dishes like the locals. LOL
My DH was totally flabbergasted that he ordered Rice Dressing from Popeyes and they didn't know what he was talking about. It's called I believe dirty rice to them.

pastryjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastryjen Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:39am
post #43 of 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

Sorry, Mr. indy, when we say macaroni we mean macaroni. It's the shape of the pasta not the name of the dish. KWIM?

Ditto!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%