Designer Stencils Is Having A 20% Off Super Bowl Sale

Decorating By mbt4955 Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm by mbt4955

mbt4955 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:44pm
post #1 of 12

I just got this email ... I will definitely be filling up my shopping cart when I get home tonight!

20% off online orders $20+
Friday, January 30 (5 pm) - Sunday, February 1 (midnight)

This offer is good for web orders only

11 replies
sweetcakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:59am
post #2 of 12

thats a good deal. Do they actually work as well as they look?

mbt4955 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 12

I haven't used them yet myself, but I have been wanting to so this is a good excuse. There seem to be a lot of CC'ers who have used them. Here are a couple of links.

classiccake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 12

I just ordered several stencils. Thanks for the "heads up!"

I like working with them. I just added a cake to my gallery yesterday that used the damask stencil.

sweetcakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:44pm
post #5 of 12

classicake - just looked at your photos, very nice!!! so how do you do the stencilling so well on a buttercream iced cake, yourlatest photo looks like fabric and you have it so neatly going over the edges, i see no seams. i ordered the stencils too, so im hoping you have some pointers to share. icon_smile.gif))

Susie53 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:49pm
post #6 of 12

I haven't been decorating cakes long. are stencils easy to use?

classiccake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:52pm
post #7 of 12

I use a noncrusting buttercream that has lots of butter in it. I ice the cake and put it in the freezer for about 15 - 20 minutes until the icing hardens, then I do the stenciling. I did one side at a time and cleaned the stencil off each time, then I did the top. I lined the stencil up right to the edge of the cake. Then after I was done stenciling, I hand piped some designs to "join the seams." Then I smoothed the piping down to blend into the stenciling.

Hope that helps!

Michele25 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:53pm
post #8 of 12

I was just going to post about this too!!!! I got the email about the sale yesterday and placed my order. I have been wanting to order some stencils for a while now and finally ordered a few. They look easy to use and the results look awesome! There are heart cookies in the "Popular" gallery today that used the heart cookie stencils.

mbt4955 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:19pm
post #9 of 12

classiccake, your damask cake is beautiful!

My shopping cart was up to $350 last night, so I decided I had better trim it down. I would love to order some of the cookie stencils, but their cutters seem pretty steep to me. Does anyone have a recommendation for some place to order good quality affordable cookie cutters? For now I think I would just go with hearts since I am doing weddings this spring. I thought the hearts would be fun as larger petit fours so I need cutters that are open on the top to go through the cake.

Now I have to get back to my shopping and decide what I will actually use as opposed to what will just go into my ever growing collection of things that I would like to do one day!

mbt4955 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:22pm
post #10 of 12

classiccake, did you use a noncrusting buttercream on the cake and for the stencil? I had thought that I would let the cake crust and then use a thinner buttercream for the stencil, but I would rather do something that is going to work the first time. Would you be willing to share your noncrusting recipe?

Designer stencils has videos on their website that shows you how to use the stencils with cakes and cookies both.

classiccake Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:10pm
post #11 of 12

Yes, I use the same icing for everything. My recipe for my icing makes 75 # of icing!!

I started with this basic recipe and tweaked it for quantity.
2 pounds of powdered sugar
1 pound real butter
1 pound hi-ratio shortening
1 tsp real vanilla

Cream butter and shortening. Add 1/2 the p. sugar and mix well. Add the rest of sugar and mix until well blended. Add vanilla. Mix until smooth and creamy. You don't have to beat this alot.

mbt4955 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:21pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks, classiccake. I'm not very good at getting my cakes smooth, so I've stuck with a crusting buttercream, but I'll give yours a try. I got my stencil order down to $135 icon_redface.gif ... bit the bullet and hit the "submit" button. I'll see how I do with them and then maybe go for one of the cake stencil sets.

Quote by @%username% on %date%