What On Earth Have I Bought?

Decorating By Caths_Cakes Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm by Caths_Cakes

Caths_Cakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:50pm
post #1 of 7

Ive seen quite a few people use confectioners glaze to make things lovley and shiny, and seen in lots of posts how people have used it icon_smile.gif So i decided i would try it out for my self icon_smile.gif so i went to my local cake supply shop, Bought some, i think it cost about £6 (uk)

It wasnt till i got home and read the small print that reads

'Warning . . Flammable!!! do not ingest and incase of contact to eyes rinse with water and seek medical attention'

Safe to say i havent used it on anything, although i did laugh when i read it . . i thought it was supposed to be edible :/

the label reads 'Confections Glaze', and i didnt realise there was more than one product???

Any Proff's out there got a better idea than i have?? Cause im flabbergasted at it

6 replies
deliciously_decadent Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 7

sounds like you have bouof laquer used to gloss wood or something? did you go to a specialty supply shop? i diubt you would find confectiners glaze anywhere else, clear pipping gel works to apparently

bashini Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:41pm
post #3 of 7

Hi Caths_Cakes, it is Confectioner's glaze. If you don't want to use that, you can return it and use clear alcohol, clear extract or everclear. icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by adatay

sounds like you have bouof laquer used to gloss wood or something? did you go to a specialty supply shop? i diubt you would find confectiners glaze anywhere else, clear pipping gel works to apparently

Yup i went to my local cake supply store, its the only one in my town , she makes cakes but also sells alot of stuff. . . Its definately Confectioners glaze, it says so on the bottle!!! does smell a bit whiffy like lol!!! icon_smile.gif
think il just stick to using Vokda lol

shorty56 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:18pm
post #5 of 7

you have the right stuff (smells like finger nail polish remover?). i use a mixture 50% of the glaze with 50% glaze thinner and i dip gumpaste foliage into it. i particularly like to use it on gumpaste ivy, bittersweet, rose leaves, and hypericum. those are items that you don't really eat anyway, they're more for decoration and display purposes.

Gefion Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #6 of 7

Confectioners glaze has the hazard warnings because it has a high alcohol content. The alcohol evaporates when exposed to air, and makes the end product perfectly safe.

Caths_Cakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:20pm
post #7 of 7

that what i presume it must be for icon_smile.gif decoration pieces only. . just laughed when i read the bottle !! litterally Lol''ed!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%