Cutting Odd Shaped Foam Board

Decorating By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm by peg818

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:47pm
post #1 of 8

So I've just discovered foam board and I tried my hand at it and yeah, I'm not so good! I cut an oval and it was no where near a neat edge! How do you do it? I used an exacto knife, but it still pulled chunks from inside the board. Any suggestions?

7 replies
KathyTW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyTW Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:58pm
post #2 of 8

I used to have the same trouble.....then I discovered a great tool by Walnut Hallow..."creative hot mark". It has different tips one of which is a knife. You plug it in, it gets hot, and it melts right through the foam.

Works like a charm. I got mine at Walmart but I've seen them at Joanns too.

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:59pm
post #3 of 8

I use my kitchen shears & they do an amazing job (they're J.A. Henckel). Kitchen shears are typically pretty sharp, and it's so easy to cut the foam core with them. A box cutter also works really well because the blade is longer and will go through the foam core better than an exacto. If you use a gentle, gentle sawing motion with the box knife and keep the blade in the foam core as you cut, it will do much better icon_biggrin.gif

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 8

I have tried several ways... exact knife and the hot knife... The thing that works best for me is an electric knife. Mine had been in the dining room hutch for 20 years since I last used it.. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif It cuts very cleanly and fast...

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyTW

I used to have the same trouble.....then I discovered a great tool by Walnut Hallow..."creative hot mark". It has different tips one of which is a knife. You plug it in, it gets hot, and it melts right through the foam.

Works like a charm. I got mine at Walmart but I've seen them at Joanns too.

Thanks! I think I saw you post this before on a similar question! I look for one tonight!

MBoyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBoyd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:17pm
post #6 of 8

I cut mine with an exacto knife. It takes some patience, but you have to make more than one pass. With a SHARP exacto knife cut a deep enough groove on the first pass so that it makes a guide for the second ( or third) pass. Then you don't have to buy another tool.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #7 of 8

I use a hot knife or a serrated bread knife. The hot knife is an amazing tool!! It not only slices cleanly though the paper, it also melts the foamcore so it's a clean, sealed cut. I freaking hated cutting foamcore board with a regular X-acto knife.

With a coupon, you can pick up a hot knife at Michael's for like 8 bucks.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 8

I have an oval & circle mat cutter its made by Logan and cuts circles and ovals nicely and evenly It is expensive ($90) but with a coupon (michaels is where i got mine) it was 1/2 price. For all other odd shapes i use a exacto knife with a fresh blade.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%