Mixing Canned Frosting With Crusting Buttercream

Decorating By sugaah Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 6:58am by mabryant0212

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 5

I would like to mix chocolate canned frosting with crusting buttercream. do you suppose i could mix the two and have a crusting frosting that i could pipe flowers and basketweave? Please advise and hurry. THANKS

4 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:56pm
post #2 of 5

I'm guessing you're refering to a fudge canned frosting. I have to admit that I use that stuff sometimes! icon_redface.gif You'll be fine mixing the fudge with your BC. It might not crust as quickly or as hard as your reg BC, but you'll be able to deco with it w/ no probs.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:54pm
post #3 of 5

Sure go aheadicon_smile.gif
Canned icing gets really soft when it is stirred. You might have to frig the combination for awhile to stiffen it up enough to use it, especially for roses and stuff like that.

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:44am
post #4 of 5

Yes, you can and it crusts just fine. It will get softer from the heat of your hands pretty quick, as it seems to have a much lower heat tolerance, but if you throw the bag of icing in the freezer for 2-3 minutes, it'll be fine again. Also, add some additional powder sugar right at the beginning, because it definitely is softer.

mabryant0212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mabryant0212 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 6:58am
post #5 of 5

Duncan Hines has a canned buttercream choc icing and it is firmer than regullar fudge icing... I mixed it (2 cans to 6cups buttercream) with my buttercream and then added about 1/4 cup of cocoa powder to it... that gives it a rich homemade taste... I mix the coca and buttercream first then add choc icing... it makes a differance in the color so dont forget this step.

Here is a picture of a cake I decorated with it...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1308069.html

it takes a few min at room temp to set but when it does it has a very nice color too... most of the time when you mix store bought icing to buttercream it is a very dull color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%