Cookies To Iraq

Baking By sugarbees Updated 3 Feb 2009 , 10:20pm by amy2197

sugarbees Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 11

My little brother is in the army and in Iraq ...how long will cookies stay good for thru the shipment process? I plan on shipping quite a few bc frosted and some non frosted so he can share with the other soliders..thanks in advance..

10 replies
HeidiCrumbs Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:41am
post #2 of 11

I never sent my husband cookies when he was in Iraq, but the other things I sent him seemed to get there within 2 weeks, usually shorter. And now that it's not the "war" it might get there sooner. I'll bet if you made them and sent them out within a few days they would still be really fresh when he got them.

Side note, my husband loved, and I mean LOVED, getting clean brand new socks sent to him. Tons of fabric softener so they smelled really good, washed all soft.

indydebi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:46am
post #3 of 11

A friend of mine, who I refer to as "My West Point Mom", told me that Pringle's cans and Quaker Oats containers made great shipping containers. The round cardboard holds up great during rough, overseas shipping, and round cookies fit in them great.

kneadacookie Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:10am
post #4 of 11

i sent cookies to my brother when he was in iraq. it took 3 weeks. he said they were still great.

paddlegirl14 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:20am
post #5 of 11

I never sent any to Iraq, but I had a really good friend stationed in Korea. I sent him some, just wrapped them up really well and lots of bubble wrap!! They were a HUGE hit with him and the other guys.

I am not sure about this, but it might work. Freeze them, use one of those vacuum seal machines while they are frozen, thaw, then pack and ship. You might try a few first, even if you don't ship them. I think I might have even used one of those disposable zip-loc type container. They come in round ones now. It has been so long, I can't remember.

GOOD LUCK!! thumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:43am
post #6 of 11

First a huge Thank you to your brother and to all the members whose family are serving or have served in Iraq, Afghanistan and other places.

When my DD's boyfriend was in Iraq, we sent him cookies. The last time I mailed them was in July of 08 and he got them in 9 days, I couldn't believe how quick it was.

We baked chocolate chip and oatmeal and some NFSC iced. What I did was wrap them in 2's with saran(plastic) wrap and placed them in those Glad ware plastic containers and wrapped the containers in bubble wrap.

If you bake one day and mail the next they will be fine.

P.S. I still have some NFSC that I made for Christmas in a tupperware container, and they still taste really good. They were made a month ago. The icing seems to keep them fresh for a lot longer than un-iced ones.

TracyLH Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:47am
post #7 of 11

I sent cookies to Afghanistan and he said they were nice and fresh (but he may be a bit desparate! icon_lol.gif ) I would heat seal them in cello bags, wrap them in plastic wrap and pack them tightly (but not too tight) in a cardbard box. If you really want to play it safe, put that box in a larger box with peanuts around it and you should be good to go. Have fun and I am sure they will be sincerely apppreciated!

Honeydukes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:25am
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarbees

My little brother is in the army and in Iraq ...how long will cookies stay good for thru the shipment process? I plan on shipping quite a few bc frosted and some non frosted so he can share with the other soliders..thanks in advance..

I'd be concerned with buttercream frosted cookies. They'll most likely get smooshed or the icing might not be fresh. I'd go with RI.

Have you been to the Nestle site? They have recipes (and shipping info) that have been tested for just this purpose. I used their Butterscotch Scotchies and they were great.

http://www.verybestbaking.com/recipes/results2.aspx?keyword=&categoryid=3851&searchtext=Military%20Care%20Packages
http://www.treatthetroops.org/tips.htm

TracyLH Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 11

Oops! icon_redface.gif I see by Honeydukes really helpful note that I read too fast! The cookies I shipped had RI, not buttercream. Thanks for the link to the other types, Honeydukes! My cousin will be back to Iraq soon and those recipes will come in handy.

Susie53 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:56pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

A friend of mine, who I refer to as "My West Point Mom", told me that Pringle's cans and Quaker Oats containers made great shipping containers. The round cardboard holds up great during rough, overseas shipping, and round cookies fit in them great.

Thanks...this is a great idea!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

amy2197 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 11

I have sent cookies decorated with RI to my husband, brother, and brother-in-law (brother in Baghdad, Roy and Bobby are traveling with the FOB). I freeze on a sheet pan then vacuum seal. I have also vacuum sealed amish friendship bread and they all said it was still wonderful. It usually takes around 14 days for them to receive packages.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%