Where Can I Find These?

Decorating By AllyCake90 Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm by MBoyd

AllyCake90 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 8

I need to find some brushes to do brush embroidery with, where can I find some that are food safe? [I hate to order them online, do they have them at JoAnn's or Michaels?]

7 replies
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:16pm
post #2 of 8

I use the cheap plastic craft brushes, like kids use with watercolor and poster paints. I have a set that I only use for cake decorating and I wash them in the dishwasher. When they wear out, I just buy a new set, but they still last for years. I run them through a dw cycle straight out of the package just to make sure they don't have any mfg residue on them.

Omicake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 8

Yes, you can also find them at school supplies, etc.You can use any new art brush in the appropiate size.

Cakepro Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:18pm
post #4 of 8

You can buy a 3-pack of brushes by Wilton at various crafts stores, although I think the vast majority of us use regular paintbrushes that you buy in the fine art department at the same stores.

slopokesgirl Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 8

Yes you can get them at Michaels. icon_smile.gif

Dizzymaiden Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:38pm
post #6 of 8

i use makeup brushes too! just like prterrell, I run them through the dishwasher and air dry. They are better than craft brushes because they are meant to pick up lightly - nothing worse than a blob of blush!

Becscakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:05pm
post #7 of 8

I also bought a good set of make up brushes, good ones so they dont looes hairs and in the set there are heaps of different shapes and sizes. I washed them in a diswasher first and keep them in a screw top plastic container to keep them clean.

MBoyd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:21pm
post #8 of 8

I've found that the cheap, stiff brushes work better than the softer, fine (expensive) brushes for doing brush embroidery. The stiffer brush makes a more obvious texture when you pull it through the RI.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%