Topsy-Turvy / Whimsical Cake Construction

Decorating By live2create Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm by tastyart

live2create Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
live2create Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:59pm
post #1 of 3

I would like any advice in regards to the construction of a Topsy-Turvy cake. My main question is are there some cakes that are better used to constuct this cake. Flavor wise. Chocolate is a firmer cake verses a white or yellow or does this not matter. For the bottom cake I hollow out a portion and will set my second layer into the top of the bottom correct, and I also should put a plate with support under the plate too Right?
If I want to put accents onto my second cake all of this should be done before I place on bottom cake.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreicated Thanks

2 replies
flowerpower1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowerpower1 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:19pm
post #2 of 3

hi, you can find a great whimsical cake- tutorial here on cc, under "articles"- "how to articles". It´s a good idea to use a firm cake like pound cake or mud cake.

icon_biggrin.gif

tastyart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastyart Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:54pm
post #3 of 3

I made a 4 tier topsy-turvy using the method from the tutorial mentioned above. I used a WASC and had no problems. As far as your question on the accents, that depends on what kind of accents. On my cake I did all the decorating before stacking. Some cakes I have seen have a continuous decoration that flows from one tier to the next. That would have to be done after stacking. When it comes to buttercream decorations, I would decorate after stacking. I still have trouble with putting my finger somewhere it doesn't belong when stacking buttercream cakes. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%