Sculpted Cake Support System

Decorating By Stina Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm by TooMuchCake

Stina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stina Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 2

Okay, I have BIG ideas and yet they always seem to fall flat, lean way too much or just don't work at all. What could I be doing wrong. I dowel the @#$$%^% out of them and they won't stay up right. Does anyone have any tricks for me? Am I using the wrong support in choosing dowels? Example of a lost cause: I haven't posted it yet, but I made a jukebox cake for a sweet 16 and let me tell you it was so cute. It was standing up and everything until two hours before delivery and then it went south. I ended up laying it down. It still looked great and thank goodness it was for a friend who didn't expect it to stand up (in other words I didn't tell her what I was doing). I had 6 dowels in it and they went all the way down clear into the cake board it self. The weight of the cake was just too much. I have had similar problems in the past, but just keep trying. Anyone who has any suggestions would be a complete blessing. icon_smile.gif

1 reply
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:32pm
post #2 of 2

I'm sorry your juke box fell!!

Are you also putting boards between the layers of cake? There should be individually supported boards every four or five inches in height, and then I through-dowel down through the whole thing once it's all stacked. I also use quite a few bubble tea straws most of the time for internal supports (and then sharpened food-safe wooden dowels for the through-doweling) except for things like wedding cakes, in which case I use the Wilton hidden pillars.

You can see how I've got several cakes doweled and supported on my website at www.cakedalaska.com

HTH,
Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%