Multi-Colored Cakes

Decorating By StaceySouth Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm by prterrell

StaceySouth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceySouth Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:47pm
post #1 of 4

Okay, I have a (probably) silly question....How do I ice a cake in mulit-colors? Like, for example, a white sky, blue mountains, green grass...etc. I am making a dinosaur cake for my Godson and I want to do a background in mulit-colored icing. Every time I try to do this I end up smearing icing into other colors. I'm perplexed. Please help!

3 replies
cvoges Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cvoges Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:55pm
post #2 of 4

I think I know what you're talking about, and I think I can help. Choose a color for your blank cake--your canvas. To that canvas, begin adding the different elements in whatever order seems logical for your project. You might try an outline for the larger elements and then flood the outline with thinned buttercream. Use the grasstip (don't know the #) for piping on the grass. HTH

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 4

I did a bag of sunflower seeds in my pictures. First time trying that type. I used normal consistency. I piped a border to the area. Then filled it in (actually piped it in) smoothed slightly in the area then viva paper towel smoothed.

HTH

Judi

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:26pm
post #4 of 4

If you're trying to go for the look that grocery store bakeries have, they spray the color onto the white-iced cake with an airbrush. Wilton makes cans of spray-on color for the home-decorator to use, but I've never tried them. An airbrush system is a pretty hefty investment, especially for the casual decorator.

The easiest thing to do is to smooth ice the entire cake white. Then, use a large round tip (say, a #10) to pipe the mountains. Go back with a small angled spatula to smooth out the mountains. The use a grass tip to pipe the grass. This will give more texture to your decoration than just having the entire surface be smooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%