Need Help With Chocolate Buttercream

Decorating By luv2cake Updated 2 Feb 2009 , 1:34pm by Susie53

luv2cake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone!

I am needing to make some chocolate icing. Normally, I just add melted chocolate chips to my basic buttercream recipe. I love the flavor, color, etc. However, I am currently out of chocolate chips and really don't want to take my three little ones out in the cold just to get some. I do have some chocolate almond bark. Does anyone know if I can just melt some of that and add it to my buttercream??

Any ideas?

7 replies
mbelgard Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:15pm
post #2 of 8

DO you have cocoa powder or unsweetened chocolate? I personally don't like the flavor of almond bark so I'd avoid using it if I could.

I would assume that it would work if that's all you had, it just might not be quite the flavor you're looking for.

luv2cake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 8

Yes I do have cocoa powder, but to me it gives buttercream a bitter taste.
I will probably just need to get to the store to get some chocolate chips.

Thanks for you input!

Teekakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 8

Have any unsweetened choc squares? If you do this recipe is unbeatable in taste, crusting, and piping. IMO icon_smile.gif

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 3:49am
post #5 of 8

i keep the pre melted chocolate around and i use special dark cocoa powder. Those 2 things combined make the darkest, most decadent chocolate buttercream you will ever have. I add 3 ounces of the pre melted and about 1/3 c of the powder and a bit more milk than normally.

luv2cake Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 4:25am
post #6 of 8

I'm definitely interested, but what do you mean by "pre melted" chocolate?

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:11pm
post #7 of 8

The grocery store sells boxes of pre melted chocolate by Nestle that are little 1 ounce packets. Usually in the baking isle with the chocolates. And the Hersey special dark cocoa powder is in the same area.

Susie53 Posted 2 Feb 2009 , 1:34pm
post #8 of 8

Hope y'all don't mind me jumping in, just wanted to thank Teekakes for the link...I've been looking for a good chocolate buttercream recipe. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%