Help Me Pick Colors

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm by mbelgard

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #1 of 10

I'm getting ready to make my children their regalia for grass dancing and I need some help deciding on my final colors.

My youngest wants his to match his snake which is red, white and orange. I'm going to use just beads in white because regalia doesn't wash well and he's 6. I'm thinking of including some yellow and making the basic pieces out of black.

My oldest is the one I'm having the most trouble with. I have picked out orange and black so far but I really don't know what else to use. I've considered olives and browns to go with but I"m also thinking maybe lime green and purple instead.

Any opinions would be welcome.

These are supposed to be very bright and colorful so I'm not worried about them being tacky.

9 replies
TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 10

I like the idea of the purples and greens and oranges .. it reminds me of mardi gras colors ...

mbelgard Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:51pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the input. I'm kind of leaning towards the green and purple to go with the orange and black but I'm having trouble deciding.

Since I have boys this is my one chance a year to get fancy with something for them to wear. I get to buy yards and yards of ribbon and beads and they can't yell. icon_lol.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:59pm
post #4 of 10

This may sound like an odd color with orange and black, but what about blue. Orange and blue together really pop because they are totally opposite of each other on the color wheel.

I have to say though that the idea of the lime green with purple sounds great too.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 10

yeah I agree, I like blue with orange as well ..

mkolmar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:17pm
post #6 of 10

double post

mbelgard Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:56pm
post #7 of 10

You're right, blue and orange would be a good combo too.

I'm going to have to think about this. I have until Thursday to decide, I'll be going to Hobby Lobby that day to pick up ribbons and stuff.

My youngest is getting really excited because this is his first year and he hasn't had regalia yet. I think he's most excited about the roach I have to make for him.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 10

I have to ask... what is grass dancing?

mkolmar Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 10

The grass dance represents the American Indians connection with the Earth. It's basically storytelling done through dance. The fringe with beads and feathers represents the wind and when the dancer dances to the beat it moves like wind in the grass.

I might be wrong here though. I'm only a little over 1/3 American Indian and sadly not all of the traditions were passed down like they should have been in my family.

Mbelgard- you made a great costume for her son before. I hope you post a picture of these ones when you are done too.

mbelgard Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:36pm
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkolmar

The grass dance represents the American Indians connection with the Earth. It's basically storytelling done through dance. The fringe with beads and feathers represents the wind and when the dancer dances to the beat it moves like wind in the grass.

I might be wrong here though. I'm only a little over 1/3 American Indian and sadly not all of the traditions were passed down like they should have been in my family.

Mbelgard- you made a great costume for her son before. I hope you post a picture of these ones when you are done too.

Thanks I will post regalia pics once they're done.

I know very little about all of this, my husband is Native and his family isn't traditional either. The boys do this through the school. Last year I knew NOTHING about any of this and had to learn as I went.

Here's a basic description of grass dancing:

http://library.thinkquest.org/3081/grass.htm

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%