Cake Serving Sizes

Decorating By candee2300 Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 9:40pm by costumeczar

candee2300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candee2300 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:59pm
post #1 of 5

I know this question has been asked a bizzillion times but I am still confused. Okay, so the cakes I make are 4 layers of cake 3 layers of filling. For a 6" tier I bake 2 cakes-each 2"-I torte each cake-thus the four cake layers.
I've been going by the wilton guide. It says for 2" deep pans-servings for 2 layer is 12. But my question is-does it mean you just torte the one 2" cake or is it 2 2" cakes for the 2 layer.
This is very confusing to type out I'm sorry-but I might be getting my first paid order-wedding cake for 200-and I need to know what I'm talking about.

4 replies
candee2300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candee2300 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:03pm
post #2 of 5

Oh, and what are the best sizes for serving 200 (round cakes)

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:06pm
post #3 of 5

If I'm reading it right, that's a lot of filling between each 'layer'. I would say, it's 2-2" layer cakes whether you choose to split and fill each of the layers making it 4- 1" layers will still result in the same serving size.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:09pm
post #4 of 5

The best sizes to use in rounds to attain approximately 200 servings would (IMO) also depend on the design/look you're after

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 5

The Wilton wedding servings charts assume that you have two 2" deep cakes stacked on top of each other, It doesn't matter whether they're torted or not, the serving count is based on a final height of about 4" for the tier.

I do torted and non-torted cakes, and I don't change the serving count between the two. The person cutting the cake isn't going to cut a different sized piece just because it's torted or not, so don't worry about that part of it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%