Black Forest Pastry Torte?

Baking By MissyShay Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm by MissyShay

MissyShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyShay Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:56pm
post #1 of 4

My husband had a cake at work that he wants me to make but i can't find a recipe. The cake was a meringue between layers of cream, and then chocolate shavings on top top. The cake was bought at the swiss bakery in fort worth, tx. It might have been called a black forest pastry torte. The meringue was crispy. Does anyone have a recipe for this? He brought me a small piece and it was scrumptious!
Thanks,
Missy

3 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:51pm
post #2 of 4

Hmmm. Black Forest tortes (aka Black Forest Cake) are typically a chocolate cake soaked in Kirschwasser syrup with a cherry filling and iced in whipped cream....What you are describing sounds more like a type of Pavlova, which usually a crispy meringue shell filled with fruit and whipped cream or pastry cream...(although I see by reviews online that Black Forest Pastry Cake, is indeed what they call this thing).

I just Googled the shop, and they don't seem to have a website (sometimes I can figure a close approximation of stuff from a pic).

Some of the reviews I found describe the same dessert, but say it contains layers of thin crispy pastry, not meringue. If that were the case, I would think it more akin to a napoleon, which is layers of puff pastry and pastry cream, usually topped with a sugar icing glaze.

Maybe it's a type of napoleon with a meringue layer?

Sorry I couldn't be of more help! Sounds delish, though!

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 4

Call the bakery and ask. They probably wont give you their recipe, but it never hurts to try, you might be suprised. I would start out by telling them how wonderful it is, and then asking how they managed to make it?? Ask for the recipe last. They might share some tips with you, but dont be suprised if they dont give you the recipe..

MissyShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyShay Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 5:15pm
post #4 of 4

Thanks for the help, my husband brought me a very small piece, not really big enough to tell what it i, and he didn't mention until the next day he wanted me to make him one or i would have paid closer attention to it. i know the "meringue" was crispy and a light brown color. It was delicious! I had tried finding a website for the bakery also. I agree that black forest usually has cherries in it, I don't know why they call it that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%