Square Topsy Turvy Cake Pans

Decorating By thecakeprincess Updated 4 May 2010 , 3:36pm by bakarie

 thecakeprincess  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeprincess Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:23pm
post #1 of 27

Has anyone tried the square topsy turvy cake pans? If so, do you like them?
LL

26 replies
 ZAKIA6  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZAKIA6 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 27

i've never seen these before. who makes them?

 harrisonsmama  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 27

Thank the lord! This is (insert curse word here) awesome!!!!! I bet I would have a lot more money if I didn't buy all of thsi crap. Thank God I have a boss to do that for me now!

 kel58  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kel58 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 27

I didnt even know such a thing existed! I would also like to know what other people think of them. Would you have prop them up in the oven so all the batter doesnt run one way?

Kel

 rachel-b  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rachel-b Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:31pm
post #5 of 27

Wow! I want to know, too!!!

 tx_cupcake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:36pm
post #6 of 27

Me want pans. Now!

 deetmar  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #7 of 27

I would love to know where you found these, please tell. icon_biggrin.gif

 cakeymom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:48pm
post #8 of 27

I saw these some time ago. It's icingonlinestore dot com

They come in round and square. You can also as your google search type in topsy turvy round pan set or topsy turvy square pan set.

cakeymom

 tx_cupcake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:54pm
post #9 of 27

Daaaaaaaaang, those are expensive! Notice how it says that they can't do combined shipping. Boo!

(please excuse my tightwaditude icon_lol.gif )

 cakeymom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #10 of 27

I just found that Fiesta Cake Decorating also has them 89.95 and 99.95 respectively for the round and square sets.

cakeymom

p.s. - the price is why I don't have them either. icon_cry.gif

 cakeymom  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeymom Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:16pm
post #11 of 27

OOPS!!! their sets are 3 pans!!!


cakeymom

 FromScratch  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:50pm
post #12 of 27

Honestly... it's easier to just carve them then to bake them in those 1/2 deep 1/2 shallow pans and then you still have to torte them if you want some filling in your cake. By the time all is said and done it will take you less time to bake 3 squares and stack and carve and fille them then it will to use those pans and torte and fill them.

 harrisonsmama  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
harrisonsmama Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:30pm
post #13 of 27

How do you bake a cake evenly in them if one side is more shallow than the other?

 xstitcher  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:33pm
post #14 of 27

Just a thought, wouldn't one side of the cake be done sooner than the other? icon_confused.gif

 tonedna  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:40pm
post #15 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

Honestly... it's easier to just carve them then to bake them in those 1/2 deep 1/2 shallow pans and then you still have to torte them if you want some filling in your cake. By the time all is said and done it will take you less time to bake 3 squares and stack and carve and fille them then it will to use those pans and torte and fill them.




I agree.. And I dont love the shape of them either. Then you gotta deal with the cooking, one side will cook faster than the other side.. Not convinced here..
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

 FromScratch  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 3:06pm
post #16 of 27

I still don't think they are the best shape like Edna said. You'd want the slope to be towards one of the pointed sides... not the straight edge... and you'd want them to be taller. It would be much more asthetically pleasing. Even with a discount no way would I ever for pans I'd hardly ever use. But if you have luck with them that's cool.

 bakingshell  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingshell Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #17 of 27

I agree with Edna as well. I dont like the shape of this pan and dont think that it would bake well or evenly. Plus the price of them are outrageous OMG even with the 10% discount given. Crazy! I like the topsy turvy look but will not be buying these pans I will carve my cakes.

 krisann  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krisann Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #18 of 27

I actually bought a minicake set of these at the cake show in Virginia a couple of weeks ago.. The tab coming out of the bottom of cake (its at the top of the pan on picture) levels the pan for cooking. They work great.

Kris

 Suzisweet  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:09pm
post #19 of 27

I know that I should have waited to post until complete but I was actually looking for help with time on these pans when I came across this post.

I am baking a cake for the first time in these pans (as we speak) I got my 3 set from Fiesta Cake Supply. I have had them sitting for a very long time and figured I better give them a shot. They have a built on leg on the short side that makes them sit correctly in the oven BUT just an FYI for anyone using these. My recipe was a thinner batter and it leaked at all four corners before I even got it in the oven. I put it on a half cookie sheet so I could contain any mess. I also used 3 rose nails to help it cook more evenly on the deep side. As soon as I can post results I will. I am only doing the large one and will do the two smaller ones later today or tomorrow.

I got these because I have never and I mean never had luck at carving. I am all self taught minus icing decorating classes. I have read a few tutorials but with no success. I do not know if my cake recipes are too soft or if the cake should be slightly frozen.....or if I just am not good at it. I know practice makes perfect but its a very exspensive thing to practice and some what depressing when you make a mistake 3/4 of the way through or the cake cracks ect. I wish there was someone in my area that taught these amazing classes I see people post about. (I am in Sellersville, PA). Sorry I have gotten off of the topic! LOL I will post results once I have finished.
Suzi

 Jeep_girl816  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeep_girl816 Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:19pm
post #20 of 27

I ALWAYS freeze my cake before carving, disaster otherwise!

 cakesbymark  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 4:39pm
post #21 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzisweet

I know that I should have waited to post until complete but I was actually looking for help with time on these pans when I came across this post.

I am baking a cake for the first time in these pans (as we speak) I got my 3 set from Fiesta Cake Supply. I have had them sitting for a very long time and figured I better give them a shot. They have a built on leg on the short side that makes them sit correctly in the oven BUT just an FYI for anyone using these. My recipe was a thinner batter and it leaked at all four corners before I even got it in the oven. I put it on a half cookie sheet so I could contain any mess. I also used 3 rose nails to help it cook more evenly on the deep side. As soon as I can post results I will. I am only doing the large one and will do the two smaller ones later today or tomorrow.

I got these because I have never and I mean never had luck at carving. I am all self taught minus icing decorating classes. I have read a few tutorials but with no success. I do not know if my cake recipes are too soft or if the cake should be slightly frozen.....or if I just am not good at it. I know practice makes perfect but its a very exspensive thing to practice and some what depressing when you make a mistake 3/4 of the way through or the cake cracks ect. I wish there was someone in my area that taught these amazing classes I see people post about. (I am in Sellersville, PA). Sorry I have gotten off of the topic! LOL I will post results once I have finished.
Suzi




let us know how they come out.......but leaking at the seams is not a good product to start out with..

 Suzisweet  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 13 Apr 2010 , 5:09pm
post #22 of 27

OK...here it is, the largest pan baked. I am thinking this just can not be right but I baked at 330 temp (in a non commercial oven) for 2hrs and 15 minutes!! How will this not be dried out! Though it looks ok so far...a slight sink in the center. See photos
This is for my sons birthday so I will be tasting it thank goodness. That way I will know first hand. I will continue to post as I make the other cakes.
LL

 conchita  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 23 Apr 2010 , 5:28am
post #23 of 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzisweet

OK...here it is, the largest pan baked. I am thinking this just can not be right but I baked at 330 temp (in a non commercial oven) for 2hrs and 15 minutes!! How will this not be dried out! Though it looks ok so far...a slight sink in the center. See photos
This is for my sons birthday so I will be tasting it thank goodness. That way I will know first hand. I will continue to post as I make the other cakes.




hi suszi can you give us more info on how they baked and if they were undercook. do you have a picture of the cake?

 cakesbymark  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbymark Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 12:39pm
post #24 of 27

any more pics of finished cakes? did you like the pans?

 Suzisweet  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzisweet Posted 26 Apr 2010 , 1:47pm
post #25 of 27

I appologize to all of my CC friends but I fell down on the job on this one. I didn't take very many pictures....I know I should have but I was in such a hurry to get my sons cake done. I waited way too long to start it and ended up doing everything in a 2 day frame including making the cakes.
As for the pans...I have to say I am really dissapointed. (This is where I need pictures...I know!) First I think I had already mentioned the leaking corners....these were exspensive so that was an immediate turn off. As far as the cooking...the large was baked and successful minus a small dip in the center. The cake was done though no raw batter or anything like that and believe it or not the cake was nice and moist.....I did trim it into a square mad hatter shape though. (Please see my spiderman cake...I am on a different computer and do not have the photos to up load again). Now the top two tiers. They cooked nicely and again not dry to my utter amazement. I did not end up using them though because I just did not like the shape and had I tried to carve the smallest tier there would have been nothing left. All in all I was not happy but should I have the time to try it one more time (since I now know what to exspect) I will try it again and I promise to photograph the whole way through.

 bakarie  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakarie Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:35pm
post #26 of 27

Also cakesuppliesdepot.com carries them too! They have a local store in broward county Florida.

 bakarie  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakarie Posted 4 May 2010 , 3:36pm
post #27 of 27

Also cakesuppliesdepot.com carries them too! They have a local store in broward county Florida.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%