Will This Be Ok Temporarily?

Business By AllyCake90 Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm by costumeczar

AllyCake90 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AllyCake90 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 9

So I've got a great space to decorate cakes in my home (actually, it's detached in a renovated barn, which was never actually a "barn" lol) Now, when my dad did the renovations, he put down carpeting. It's like a loft with a kitchen, plumbing, etc. However, the kitchen is carpeted... Virginia does allow home kitchens, but would carpet pass? If not, what would be the best option: tile, laminate, vinyl, or linoleum?

I may post pictures later...

8 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:04pm
post #2 of 9

Ask your local HD. They are the only ones who can really answer your question.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:10pm
post #3 of 9

I would doubt very much that carpeting in a kitchen will pass.I would rip it out and either put in industrial heavy duty tile or ceramic tile.It needs to be able to be mopped or washed..Vinyl and linoleum will lift if water gets underneath the seams.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 9

Here in 10 C they pour some water on it n if it absorbs into the floor you fail. So carpet is out here.

So I agree with Leah and KK, no carpet and ask the code boys.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:26pm
post #5 of 9

I would stay away from wood laminate, it gets very slick when wet or greasy (yes I speak from experience).

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:59pm
post #6 of 9

I'm in Virginia, and the floor has to be a hard surface, so carpet isn't okay. You could remove the section that's in the kitchen as long as that's the only place you'll be working, and just put down those self-stick linoleum tiles (cheap and easy to install yourself)

montanabaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanabaker Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:21pm
post #7 of 9

I don't think carpet will pass...you need a surface that's smooth and easy to clean....and easy to see if it is clean.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #8 of 9

Personally, I wouldn't WANT carpet in my kitchen!

I wouldn't even want carpet in my HOUSE! Ugh. Carpeting is such an unhygienic floor covering!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 10:18pm
post #9 of 9

But it keeps your tootsies warm icon_wink.gif I have carpet in my upstairs where the bedrooms are...I don't enjoy putting my feet on the cold floor in the morning. It does get dirty, though. Shag carpet was the worst, remember that? Super groovy, but who knows what got lost in it?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%