Smooth Ganache

Decorating By banba Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm by banba

banba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
banba Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:51am
post #1 of 6

I have the ganache on the cake and it's really smooth and I got good clean edges.

Big thank you to tonedna for her great youtube tutorial on how to cover a cake with buttercream. Putting buttercream on the bottom rim of the cake first, then the top and finally the top sides of the cake really worked great for me!

Anyway I just have a few teeny tiny marks like little small creases.

Do I pop the cake in the fridge for a while and then tackle them with a palette knife or can I use a little parchment with a smoother on ganace?

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:14pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, Once I ganached a cake and I used a palette knife and hot water to smooth it. Here is a video link from How2cakes. She makes a shoe in the video and uses a palette knife and hot water.

HTH.

banba Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:50pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks bashini great video, I was not sure about using the knife while still wet on account of the chocolate but nati did so I guess it's okay!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:04pm
post #4 of 6

If you are not sure, the other thing that you can do is, dip the palete knife in the hot water, leave it for a while and take it out, dry the water from a kitchen towel and use the knife smooth the ganache. Even though you dry the palette knife, it is hot enough. That is the same method sugarshack uses with a bench scraper in her video. icon_smile.gif

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 6

i'm confused, was it poured ganache or ganache buttercream...ir poured why do you need to smoothe it, it should have been perfectly smooth after the pour, just refrigerate till set and then decorate.
LL

banba Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:47pm
post #6 of 6

hammer1 it's not the poured ganache, sorry for not clarifying!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%