Half And Half 2 Tier Cake?

Decorating By BlondiezBakery Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 6:17am by BlondiezBakery

BlondiezBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:52am
post #1 of 10

I have someone that wants a half while and half chocolate cake.

There is no criteria for the cake, just as long as it feeds 30 people. It would be easy for me to throw together a sheet cake, but I really want to practice my tiered cakes.

How do you make a two flavored tiered cake?

Also, is it possible to pour two kinds of batter into one pan (one each side), and bake them???

Recommendations?

9 replies
BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:56am
post #2 of 10

I forgot to mention, these would be round tiers.....a bit more of a challenge.

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:58am
post #3 of 10

I have made a sheet cake with white cake on one side and chocolate on the other. I baked them together. If you can do 2 tiers, why not do a chocolate tier a and a white tier.

BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:02am
post #4 of 10

Thanks for the reply turtle. I was thinking one white and one chocolate, too. However, I feel bad that there would be more of one than the other.

Do you think it would make them mad if I took it upon myself to do that?

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:03am
post #5 of 10

Bake the batter's separately because they wont bake at the same rate. Bake one panful of batter. Level this and cut it directly down the center. stack this on top of the other half and wal-ah! half of a cake.

BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:09am
post #6 of 10

yeah...'sayhellojana', that might be what I need to do. I guess I will just need to make sure that I bake each of my cakes really thick, so that I will only need 2 layers to get my 3". In the past I have needed to use 3 layers to get my height and then I would have cake left over.

sayhellojana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sayhellojana Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:10am
post #7 of 10

leftover cake?! Crime....lol. If you bake two 2'' layers you can torte each and have 4 layers. Just means more yummy filling.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:11am
post #8 of 10

Well, if you look at my bucket of popcorn, I used the WASC recipe, both in choc and vanilla. I filled my pans left side with choc, right side with van. But you can do it left van and right choc, if you want. When you stack and tier them, just make sure that you stack all choc on one side and all van on the other. Because you are using the same recipe, they will bake the same. If that is not an option (I seriously don't know why it wouldn't be, but whatever) then bake half your tier in choc and half in van, cut them in half, and put them all together. Did that make any sense??? The only problem with the first option is that the middle is kind of marble (and seriously, is that a problem???), but the problem with the second option is that it could potentially fall apart where the tiers are put together if you don't have a strong enough base.
PM if you have questions.
hth

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:13am
post #9 of 10

You could tell them that you are wanting to do a tiered cake and that one will be smaller than the other. Which would they prefer to be the smaller one? I can't really think of how to put both flavors in one pan. It's a little trickier than a sheet pan.

BlondiezBakery Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:17am
post #10 of 10

thanks for the help everyone! I think I have got a lot of options to consider without having to do a sheet cake. I like the torting idea (never thought about that one) and the two batters/one pan idea.

I think I may just try my hand at this 'baking both in the same pan' thing. Sounds like an adventure. icon_smile.gif Although, it does sound a little safer in regards to the leveling/falling apart element.

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%