New Ideas For Cake Scraps (Besides Cake Truffles)

Decorating By m1m Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 12:36am by bobwonderbuns

m1m Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:27am
post #1 of 15

Does anyone have anything else that they do with their cake scraps?
I do use them to make cake truffles, but I just was wondering it anyone does something else with them.

I hate the idea of just dumping them in the trash-it seems so wasteful. icon_razz.gif

Of course, I could save them, but then I tend to eat them.....for breakfast...lunch...dinner....snacks...

14 replies
m1m Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:47am
post #2 of 15

Anyone? icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif

sayhellojana Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:50am
post #3 of 15

what else could you do with them? I've seen people crumble them and mix with sugar to make sand on beach cakes. Thats about all I can think of

m1m Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:54am
post #4 of 15

What I mean is, does anyone have any recipes, other than cake truffles?

In Toba Garretts' book, she has recipe where you mix them with buttercream to make a filling or even a paste for cakes.

twooten173 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:54am
post #5 of 15

I layer the scraps with strawberries and whipped cream in a trifle bowl. My mom always comes looking for scraps since I started doing this.

bizatchgirl Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:01am
post #6 of 15

trooten you are a genius! I've never thought of that, even though I've made trifles with the torn up cake. I've been throwing mine away too, haven't had a need for cake balls (and lazy to make them for co-workers 'just because'), and I will also eat nothing but cake if I leave it around.

But trifles, that brings up lots of potential!!!!

tastyart Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:09am
post #7 of 15

My kids always eat them.

Ruth0209 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:10am
post #8 of 15

I also sometimes chunk them up, layer them with pudding and berries or other fruit, and top them with a little whipped topping. Pretty much a trifle.

Throw in some slivered almonds and sprinkle some Amaretto over the cake and it's irresistible!

My new motto seems to be "A little liquor always makes good cake fabulous!"

mezzyc Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:11am
post #9 of 15

Ive used then to make cheese cake crust. Crumbled, bak a little longer, add sugar and butter and form the crust. Still an experiment but it didn't turn out half bad.
I hope you get some good (better tested icon_biggrin.gif ) ideas.

Terri05 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:11am
post #10 of 15

I tried some of mine in place of crumble on receipes. Instead of using the flour and butter, I use the cake crumbs and butter, etc. It turned out great.

Marianna46 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:57am
post #11 of 15

This is a totally untested recipe, but it would probably work: make rum balls (or bourbon balls or brandy balls, depending what you have on hand). Here's the recipe:
2 1/2 cups finely crushed cookie crumbs (or cake scraps)
1 cup powdered sugar
1/4 cup of light Karo syrup
1 cup of chopped pecans
1/3 cup rum (or bourbon or brandy)

Mix all ingredients together to form a fairly non-sticky paste. If it seems too wet, add powdered sugar till you can make marble-sized balls without too much of the paste sticking to your hands. After the whole mix has been rolled into balls, dredge the balls in powdered sugar and set out to dry. They are much better on the second or third (or later) day. After a few days, they may be place in airtight containers.

Like I say, totally untested (but delicious with cookie crumbs). I'm sure with cake crumbs, more powdered sugar than usual will be needed. I'll try some next time I bake (since I'm fairly addicted to them) and let you know. The flavor of the cake doesn't matter, by the way.

m1m Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:42pm
post #12 of 15

Thank you everyone! I love those ideas!

kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:21am
post #13 of 15

I can't come up w/an actual recipe but have seen it somewhere. Crumb up the stale cake into fine crumbs and use it in place of part of the flour in cookie recipes.

sweet_teeth Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:28am
post #14 of 15

Bread pudding? It usually calls for day-old bread. I'd leave the cake in a container, let it sit out a day so it hardens a bit, and then use it as bread pudding.

bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:36am
post #15 of 15

I've used them in trifles, using pudding and fruit and cake scraps. A delicious dessert! Also if anyone has Julia Child's "Mastering the Art of French Cooking", she has a cake recipe and one of the ingredients is 3 Cups of cake scraps! What will they think of next? icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%