Dh Dark Chocolate Fudge Mix And A Few Other Questions

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 7 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm by Cakepro

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:43am
post #1 of 13

I bought the DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix. What flavor pudding would you mix in it? Just chocolate? Do you think regular chocolate take away from the dark chocolate flavor? I'm making this cake as a donation for a silent auction at my husband's school, so I want it to be really really yummy!

Also, I'm thinking about filling it. What do you think: strawberry or raspberry? Can I use Smucker's simply fruit in the middle? (it's seedless and smooth, no chunks of fruit in it.) Or what should I use? I don't have access to sleeve fillings (and I'm not really sure what they are, just have heard about them here.)

I'm planning on using a white chocolate buttercream, if that helps your flavor suggestions. It's going to be a valentine's theme cake, so I want it to be decadent. Do these flavor combos sound good to anyone else? My mouth is watering just thinking about it! haha

Thanks for input!

12 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:41am
post #2 of 13

Sorry no one has helped you before thisicon_sad.gif Here's my 2 cents worth.

........DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix. What flavor pudding would you mix in it? Just chocolate? Do you think regular chocolate take away from the dark chocolate flavor? ......
Yes, choco pudding would be just fine. It will not take away from the mix flavor but should intensify it.

This sounds like something I would jump on a plane for a piece of icon_smile.gif

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:51am
post #3 of 13

That cake mix has a very rich, deep flavor so I don't think the pudding would lesson the flavor. On the front page there was a recipe for a chocolate cake using this mix and they added instant coffee to it.

You could bake a crustless cheesecake and use it as a filling.

bubba01 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubba01 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:57am
post #4 of 13

I use the DH Dark Chocolate Fudge cake mix and I use chocolate fudge pudding with it. As far as fillings go, I only use the sleeve fillings. Hope this helps.

Anntee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Anntee Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 12:58am
post #5 of 13

Marysjgirl: WHERE'D YOU GET THAT HAT?

re DH choc cake: using coffee instead of plain water has always improved the flavor; you don't taste the coffee. hth icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:02am
post #6 of 13

I've made the chocolate durable cake recipe (see recipe forum) using the DH dark chocolate fudge cake mix and dark chocolate fudge pudding mix. I usually bump the vanilla up a bit in it too but it's awesome!! You can use any flavor filling that normally would go with chocolate. Yummy! icon_biggrin.gif

shannon100 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:17am
post #7 of 13

Thanks everyone! I've heard about coffee before. I think I'll try that one. If I use regular coffee, do you think the caffeine could still affect people in it? I don't want someone to be shocked that they can't sleep at night! haha Or should I use decaf?

I've never seen a dark chocolate fudge pudding (I'm in a very small town, and even the larger towns nearby are small), but I'll just stick with regular chocolate since I know I can get it.

Thanks again! I can't wait to make this cake! I'm still trying to come up with the design because I really want to wow people. It's for a silent auction, and some cakes go for $400, and some go for over $1000!! It's definitely could be an ego-booster for me! icon_smile.gif

craftyone65 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftyone65 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:23am
post #8 of 13

I don't usually use DH but for that flavor I make an exception....I add pudding too and add a box of pudding. The coffee idea sounds good too. I use Chocolate Swiss Meringue and it is DELICIOUS!!!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:57pm
post #9 of 13

.............think the caffeine could still affect people in it? I don't want someone to be shocked that they can't sleep at night! haha Or should I use decaf?.......

There already is caffeine in the chocolate. No, it won't effect anyone unless they are *SUPER* allergic to caffeine.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 7:54pm
post #10 of 13

I think you're over-thinking it. icon_smile.gif

Jell-O makes a chocolate fudge instant pudding mix.

shannon100 Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 3:57pm
post #11 of 13

I finished my cake!

I forgot to use coffee instead of water. I did use regular chocolate pudding. It was SO GOOD!!! For the filling, I mixed generic "simply fruit" with buttercream. It was somewhat runny, so I mixed in some cornstarch.

I had a lot of issues with this cake. I didn't wait long enough to frost it, so it kept settling down, and I had to keep taking icing off the sides as it would push out. But it finally settled and I decorated it. I didn't like the border last night when I did it, but I liked it this morning, so I'm not messing with it.

I hope it gets a lot of money tonight at the auction!

JessDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessDesserts Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 4:33pm
post #12 of 13

good luck Shannon, I hope it gets boo-koo dollars too!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 7 Feb 2009 , 5:24pm
post #13 of 13

LOL, "boo-koo." It's 'beaucoup.'

Looks fabulous! I'm sure it will bring in some bucks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%