Help! Smbc

Decorating By SpoonfulofSugar Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 5:48am by SpoonfulofSugar

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:52am
post #1 of 9

Is it suppose to be grainy? I have it in the mixer now and it's grainy, the sugar didn't dissolve. Is that ok? I have not added the butter yet

I have never made this...only use butter cream with shortening and MMF

8 replies
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:12am
post #2 of 9

you have to keep heating the egg white-sugar mixture until the sugar dissolves, or at least keep beating it until the sugar dissolves or else your BC will be grainy icon_sad.gif

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:14am
post #3 of 9

thanks....hmmm....had a feeling that was coming...ya think I can heat it again after I beat it and added the butter?

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:16am
post #4 of 9

not sure but you can try it. It's good thatyou haven't added the butter yet. update us?

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:57am
post #5 of 9

thanks for your help cupcakeshoppe but I totally screwed this stuff up....yuck is all I have to say....I think I should use a better recipe from here instead of a didn't tell me how hot to get the egg whites and sugar but I've noticed other recipes do

Better luck next time huh!

cvoges Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:03am
post #6 of 9

The SMBC recipe I use instructs to heat the egg white and sugar mixture to 160 degrees. HTH.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:34am
post #7 of 9

I heat the mixture until it's hot to touch. don't whip too much or it will never get enough. Good luck on your next try. icon_smile.gif

soygurl Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:39am
post #8 of 9

Check out this video!

I've never made that exact recipe (I work at a large bakery so we make huge batches, and already have recipe), but the method is pretty spot on (though I like to beat the butter like crazy before adding it, many people seem to skip that step... just make sure the butter is VERY soft).

I always learn so much better from watching, lol! thumbs_up.gif

SpoonfulofSugar Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:48am
post #9 of 9

thanks for the advice and the video link......I'll try it again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%