Everyone's Favorite Fondant?

Decorating By m1m Updated 31 Jan 2009 , 3:49am by dldbrou

m1m Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:36am
post #1 of 39

What is everyone's favorite fondant? I've tried marshmallow fondant for two years now, but find it is too temperamental. I'm ready to try something new.

I've seen a recipe for "Michele Foster's fondant", but have not tried it yet.

I've also seen products like Satin Ice, but have also not tried them.

Anyone have opinions? icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

If this topic has already been covered, I apologize icon_biggrin.gificon_smile.gif

38 replies
niccicola Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:42am
post #2 of 39

im kinda finding myself getting aggrevated with MMF as well. I have not tried Michelle Foster's recipe, but I think I might try soon.

My first homemade recipe came from my Wilton Instructor. She said her recipe was from her instructor in Atlanta. It was decent, but I only made it once almost a year ago. Might try that again.

I bought Satin Ice vanilla...it's GREAT to work with. I am starting to make my own homemade vanilla extract and the fresh vanilla beans are the same smell as satin ice (duh-cause it's vanilla fondant, right?) but I don't know if i like it. It's too much like play doh and the taste is so-so.

I've used wilton but i wont' talk about that because we all know how that is!

I also have a recipe for Rolled Buttercream. I'm thinking of mixing 1/2 MMF and 1/2 RBC and seeing how that does.

m1m Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:48am
post #3 of 39

Thanks Niccicola,

I was actually thinking of buying Satin Ice, but was not aware of the Playdough taste-yuk!

I do really like the taste of mmf, but it's either too soft, too hard, not durable enough to cover very large cakes and it doesn't give me that "clean, crisp" look I'm after. Ya know?

Anyways, that's my just my own personal experience.

I've read Toba Garrett and Elisa Straus books and in both books they state that they buy their fondant.

m1m Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:55am
post #4 of 39

Yes, I've used the Wilton fondant too.

Didn't like the flavor, but it really did give a nice polished look.

niccicola Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:59am
post #5 of 39

It's the smell more than taste that reminds me of Play-doh. I think Satin ice tastes fine, certainly better than Wilton, but not as good as MMF or Rolled Buttercream. I'm gonna go dig up that recipe from my Instructor

GummiCakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:09am
post #6 of 39

Wilton Fondant is HORRIBLE. It smells like chemicals and tastes worse.

I use Pettinice Fondant. Its the best.

jlsheik Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #7 of 39

Hands down.....Michele Fosters Fondant.

newmansmom2004 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:18am
post #8 of 39

I like either Fondarific or Choco-Pan. Both work nicely and taste good.

Wilton - the irony with that is that I find it's the best ever for workability but the most heinous tasting so I only use it for practice or dummy cakes.

Satin Ice - tried it several times and don't like it. Tastes bad and it seems to tear a lot more than other brands I've used.

Marshmallow fondant - tastes good and works fine. I just don't like making it! icon_razz.gif

ccbakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:26am
post #9 of 39

Satin Ice is what I've been using for years. I like the way it handles and it comes in enough different colors that make it easier than having to color your own. I recently got some Choco- Pan and I must say taste wise it's oh so YUMMY!!! It seems to work well enough for me and I notice that a little goes a long way. It really comes down to what you like and what works best for you,try some of as many as you can find. To each his own.

sweet_teeth Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:27am
post #10 of 39

I use wilton. I know, it tastes horrible, but it is SO easy to work with. I can also get it super cheap with the 40% off coupons at Michaels.

I used to be on a mission to find great tasting, easy to work with fondant but now no longer care. Everyone I serve it to says " I don't like the texture".. not "I don't like the taste." When I bought the good tasting stuff they still peeled it off after taking a bite or two of it. If they are going to peel it off, I feel like there is no reason for it to taste great.

Another interesting tidbit is that a lot of wedding venues and conference centers peel the stuff off before they serve the cake. I've worked at two different places that held weddings and big events, and when it was time to cut the cake, we took it to the back, peeled off the fondant, and then proceeded to serve it.

m1m Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:20am
post #11 of 39

Alexandrabill, my husband does that with the fondant (mmf) he peels it because he does not like the texture.

sayhellojana Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:36am
post #12 of 39

I almost always use MMF, but I have made and really really like Michele Foster's Fondant. To make MMF taste better, I add a ton of butter flavor and that seems to make it more like buttercream. I havent found it "tempermental" yet.

Katie-Bug Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:55pm
post #13 of 39

I used to use SatinIce, it does taste pretty good- compared to others. My problem with SatinIce was trying to cover a cake with it.

I took a class last year and we used Fondex or Fond-x- not sure of the spelling. Anyway, it works wonderful. One cool thing about it is if it gets left out, just hold it in your hand it works back up. Most you would have to throw away. Also, it seems to harden better then the SatinIce or Wilton. Most of my orders at very short notice and I like the fact it sets quickly.

Good Luck finding something that works for you!! thumbs_up.gif

saap1204 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:16pm
post #14 of 39

I have made both MMF and Michelle Foster's fondant. I like Michelle's so much better. It tastes wonderful (not as sweet as MMF) and is easy to work with.

Becscakes Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:10pm
post #15 of 39

I can only get 1 type of fondant in my local stores it called orchard icing but i think its Australian. I have made a few different ones but i always go back to bought ones, mine dont seem to be as smooth.

gerripje Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:24pm
post #16 of 39

I've used Wilton fondant and just about never bothered trying anything else because it tasted so bad. Then a year later, I've made MMF and Michele Fosters. I liked the Michele Foster recipe, it seemed so clean and easy to work with, but I'm not always sure if I get the right consistency. I'm always a little on the soft side.

michellesArt Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:27pm
post #17 of 39

we have virgin ice where i am and i love it hands down to wilton (though i have tried to make mmf it's too much work) i'm just now trying rolled buttercream and hopefully that will taste better but still have the play-ability of fondant-i don't think i'll use it to cover cakes though (or maybe i'll try once just to see)

dandelion56602 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 9:31pm
post #18 of 39

Michele Foster's HANDS DOWN! A yr or so ago there was a thread where people were having problems w/ pliability---I was one of those. I think it was Michele who said to add 2-3 more Tbs more glycerin than is in the recipe. Let me tell you it became a dream to work w/. I absolutely LOVE it! As far as flavor, you can make it any flavor you want & don't have to worry about how it tastes.

Wilton fondant tastes like you're chewing on a bag of dried tea leaves. Nasty. And you can't really get it to flavor well either.

rocketmom1985 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:18am
post #19 of 39

I vote for Michelle's recipe also, but I use mmf for practice. Nobody has eaten any fondant from my cakes either! My instructor said to use the Wilton for ease of use and consistancy cause nobody eats the fondant anyways. Seems to be that is the case by way of the posts here!

suzylynn58 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:31am
post #20 of 39

Michelle's for me too! My customers love it!

nicolepa Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:31am
post #21 of 39

Can someone tell me what the shade the Satin Ice Blue is? I am debating buying the blue predone or coloring the fondant I have already. It's for a 1yo's birthday. I want a light blue.

vickymacd Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:31am
post #22 of 39

I used Wilton once, and everyone threw out the fondant.
Made MMF and everyone ate it.
Will have to try out Michelle's.

bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:43am
post #23 of 39

I'm a big fan of JenniferMI's white chocolate fondant. Can you say "to die for"? icon_lol.gif

jessique Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:47am
post #24 of 39

hey I am just venturing into the fondant. I got a bunch of fondant tools for christmas, Where do you find michelle's fondant. I tried the mmf once and it wasn't the best... haha it could have just been because it was my first attempt, but alot of you seem to swear by her recipe.

leah_s Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:51am
post #25 of 39
Originally Posted by nicolepa

Can someone tell me what the shade the Blue is? I am debating buying the blue predone or coloring the fondant I have already. It's for a 1yo's birthday. I want a light blue.

It's a bright Marine sort of blue. But a pinch of it mixed into regular white fondant will give you light blue.

bobwonderbuns Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 1:53am
post #26 of 39
Originally Posted by jessique

hey I am just venturing into the fondant. I got a bunch of fondant tools for christmas, Where do you find michelle's fondant. I tried the mmf once and it wasn't the best... haha it could have just been because it was my first attempt, but alot of you seem to swear by her recipe.

Here you go! http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3663-0-Michele-Fosters-Delicious-Fondant.html

panchanewjersey Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:05am
post #27 of 39

I have to agree with alot of you, mmf all the way and everyone love it. Had wilton and will never try it again. Satin Ice never tried but I have a feeling it taste the same, however I think mmf doesn't look as matte as other stuff, I like that matte look.

Rendee Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:08am
post #28 of 39

I tried the wilton fondant, couldn't get past the taste but it was easy to work with.
I have used satin ice and it tasted alright but it seemed to crack to easy.
I have also made Michelle's recipe twice now and have had no problems with taste or workability. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

m1m Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:13am
post #29 of 39

I haven't heard of Fondex. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.

FromScratch Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:47am
post #30 of 39

I make Michele's fondant as well. Satin Ice to me smells like vanilla play doh to me and the flavor is about the same. Chocopan is better... Fondex too. I haven't tried Massa Grischuna but have heard marvelous things about it and I am going to pick some up soon. It's more expensive though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%