How To Get Dried Gum Paste To Stick

Decorating By uberathlete Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 10:31pm by ibmoser

uberathlete Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
uberathlete Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 8

Hi everyone. Just wondering about how I can stick two dried pieces of gum paste together. I don't want to use royal icing if possible. Can I just use water? Are there any other glues that can be used?

7 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:08am
post #2 of 8

water or gumglue would work as long as you can hold the pieces until set (maintain their positions that is). I chanced upon something that may be written somewhere....

I steamed (lightly) two pieces over the spout of my tea kettle which gave them enough tack to hold fast. As soon as they were cooled, they were stuck.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:23am
post #3 of 8

For the helmet face mask in my little avatar photo, I ended up having to use Elmer's glue on the 4 pieces that joined the mask together. I knew that the it wouldn't be eaten so I had no issue there.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:32am
post #4 of 8

You can also use melted chocolate.

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:12am
post #5 of 8

I always use sugar glue. icon_smile.gif

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 11:26am
post #6 of 8

Bashini is right, sugar glue is the standard

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 8

Egg white also works well as a glue for gumpaste. Just be careful not to get it all over your piece, because if you put luster dust on it after, you will be able to see the spots where the egg white is.

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:31pm
post #8 of 8

In a class with Nicholas Lodge, we used a tiny ball of leftover gumpaste (the same that was used for the items to be glued together or the dominant color) and added just a bit of water or gum glue, mooshed it together into a paste, and used the paste. Just be careful and don't use too much water in the paste or too much paste to glue the pieces together. This technique does need a bit of time to set up. I like chocolate or candy melts - sets up faster.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%