Calling All Arizonians!

Lounge By Rocketgirl899 Updated 5 Feb 2009 , 12:44am by Rocketgirl899

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 16

Hello,

Looking to "start my life" and making the trek from FL to AZ. I have been trying to do as much research as possible but am most leery (leary? ehh to much spanish class lately icon_smile.gif ) about the Valley Fever stuff!

Has anyone ever had that?

I am looking at the Pheonix Metro or Mesa areas.

I will be a new college grad, and am basically willing to work anywhere. But I would like to go into hospitality/ event planning, or human resources.

Any likes or dislikes you can let me know about would be great.

I know AZ is a dry heat, but i HATE the humidity of FL.

15 replies
ladyellam Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 16

I've lived in Arizona almost all of my life with the exception of Barbados a couple of times a year. I've never had Valley Fever or any other "desert" diseases. I do live in the Southern part of Arizona near the Mexican border and not in Phoenix so I can't tell you about the Phoenix/Mesa/Tempe area.

Yes the weather is sometimes unbearably hot! But right now we are in the 70's in Phoenix and mid 60's where I live and it's January. You can practically wear shorts all year long in Phoenix! And the people here are really laid back and easy going. During the summer months, fancy clothes means wearing brand new flip-flops out to dinner lol.

Arizona is a beauitful State and there is really so much to do. I think you would really enjoy our wonderful state.

Kathy

Rocketgirl899 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 16

Thanks Kathy!

I would have responded quicker but CC didn't email me about another post icon_biggrin.gif

I am pretty casual so sounds like I might fit in. I am glad to hear you haven't had any "desert diseases."

Are there any natural disasters there? I haven't found anything to indicate so...but never hurts to ask.

Lookin at moving in mid to late may. I know its going to be hot come july/august. I am pretty use to heat, I just think my bf who will be meeting me there doesn't understand 105..coming from WA state icon_biggrin.gif

I really have tried to do as much research as possible.

Have you ever experienced "brown outs" or have any issues with drinking water? Any tips on how to keep your house cool?

CakesByJen2 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 1:35am
post #4 of 16

I don't live in AZ, but my sister has lived in Phoenix for about 15 years and I have visited there many times. Probably the first thing that will strike you is how flat, brown, and naked it is, compared to more temperate climates with lots of trees. It is very hot and dry. I havn't been there during the worst of it, thankfully, just in March, April, May, and November. Spring and fall are nice, and I keep threatening to abandon my family and go winter there with my sis! The sun is very bright and unrelenting, which is kind of hard on me as my eyes are extremely light sensitive and bright light also triggers my migraines.

As far as the valley fever, though in rare cases in can be serious (if it infects the central nervous system), most people have a milder respiratory infection. My sister said she read a report that speculated many residents have had it without ever realizing it because the symptoms were not severe enough to cause them to seek medical attention. I suspect my daughter picked it up on a visit, because she got sick about 2 weeks later and ran a very high fever for 8 days, but despite seeing the doctor twice, we never got a diagnosis, and she got better on her own. I wouldn't let that stop me from moving there; now the heat is another thing.... icon_wink.gif

No real natural disasters, just an occasional dust storm, and some flash flooding on the rare occasion that it does rain.

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 16

Thanks Jen!

I keep telling my DBF that 105 (on average!!) is hot.

I didn't even think about light sensitivity! I have to wear sunglasses all the time in FL because if I don't I get headaches (plus i squint and that is no good for wrinkles.)

We are both fair skin and have a touch of read in our hair. We know that suncreen is going to be a daily procedure (it already is for me).

Flash flooding! This is a reason we were goign to skip out on Dallas.... oh man now do we gotta open that back up for negotiations? hehe.

I had heard the same about Valley fever, that you can get it and not know, I just wasn't sure. Glad your daughter was able to kick it by herself.

Anyone know about cake shops out there? lord knows someone isn't going to ship me sweetex in July!

glendaleAZ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 8:12pm
post #6 of 16

Hi Rocketgirl899,

If you like the desert youll love Arizona. I prefer green landscape, but the desert, well, theres just something serenely beautiful about it, especially as the sun goes down over those areas. My favorite part is sundown, the reds, purples, and blues are so beautiful.

You already wear sunglasses and sunscreen, so youre covered there.

Arizona is a dry heat. Way better than having both the heat and humidity like Florida or other states of the like. We have air conditioning everywhere, so during the hot times (100 112), you go from air in you house, to air in you car, to air at your work, so not a big deal (kind of like the opposite of snowy cities). Its the days in between that you really enjoy. Your yard becomes an extension of you home and you spend as much time outside as you can. Like today, my daughter and I are going to see Lion King at Gammage Theater and the night air is going to be awesome.

Flash flooding happens in the same places (streets) every year during Monsoon, so all you need to do is pay attention to the warring signs posted in those areas and you will be fine. Some streets tend to flood (like ½ foot deep), and Phoenix is working on over-flow cannels to take care of that, so again its not really a big deal, just go around the streets that flood. Beside, there is nothing more exciting and amazing than summer Monsoon season (July-August) I love it, and my kids do to. We sit by the windows and watch it every year. Most of the time, the rain and wind come and go so fast (10 minutes to 1/2 hours at best) that you barely get into it before it all over. Monsoons tend to happen in the early evening, so for the most part you are already home or at work when it happens.

Now, about Valley Fever! My Mom had it her entire life, and was never really bothered by it (I never heard her complain about it, and she complained about everything). The most important thing is if you ever get stuck in a dust storm, even a small little dust swirl/baby tornado, cover your face with something (eyes, nose, and mouth) until it passes. Like, when I drive in my car and see a small dust swirl I just roll up the window until Ive past it, then I roll them back down. If I'm walking when it happens I just cover my face (don't forget any kids that may be with you) with your coat or a shirt until it passes. It really doesnt happen in the city anymore, but will more likely happen in the outer areas where there isnt as many buildings. I was born in Arizona, and have spent most of my life here, and have never had a problem, nor have I ever known anyone who has had Valley Fever, beside my mom.

Now, about some GREAT news! ABC cake decoration supply store is wonderful. Its the only one Ive found worth going to in all Arizona. When Im in the store I always meet people who come from up north and down south to get their supplies because they have nothing that compares in their area. THEY HAVE 99% of EVERYTHING YOULL EVER NEED YEAH!!

ABC Baking & Cake Decorating Supplies
2853 E Indian School Rd, Phoenix, AZ
Phone: 602-224-9796.

Sorry that this is long, but I wanted to address all you concerns.

If you need anything else let me know, and I will try to find out for you.

Sincerely,
Tammy

PS
Check out this thread for more people from Arizona, incase you would like more opinions on the Desert State. Im sure that any one of them would be happy to help you out.

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-591319.html

Rocketgirl899 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 16

Tammy!

Thank you!

I don't mind the long response! Right along the lines of what I am looking for. Jen and Kathy gave me some other things to think about!

I so appreciate you mentioning ABC! My bf said i prob shouldn't mention that in the very first post as we CCers tend to get alittle side tracked! I mean I don't know if I could put up with only Joann's and Michaels. And you probably savedme a ton of time driving to different shops. Thank you!

I guess we have similar monsoons in Fl... rains everyday in the summer from 3-4... by 5 its compleltey dry! Kinda sounds like fun! Ours have lightning and thunder, and well sometimes that gets scary...

Thanks for such great info on the state! I will be heading over to your suggested link!

You guys are all making me excited about the state!

GO CARDS!

glendaleAZ Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 9:11pm
post #8 of 16

Glad to help. Good luck with the move.

Maybe we'll meet someday at ABC or maybe the Arizona Cake Show Feb. 2010.

Also, I forgot to let you know that there are two cake clubs here, one is in Glendale and I think the other is in Mesa. KimAZ will know for sure. She was great to me when she fould out I was from Arizona and new to Cake Central.

Tammy

KimAZ Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 5:47am
post #9 of 16

Hi Rocketgirl,
I think everyone pretty much covered all your questions. I've lived in AZ for over 16 yrs now and still the summer heat is just crazy! Yes, it's a dry heat but good grief...it's just HOT! icon_eek.gif

I'm so used to wearing shorts the greater percentage of the year that when it actually cools down in "winter" it feels weird to wear pants.( and sock and shoes icon_wink.gif )

Anyway, ABC Cake Decorating is the only supply store we have in the Phoenix area. As mentioned above, they have everything and then some. They get more current tools and supplies all the time but still do carry a lot of the old plastic toy toppers, plastic plates and such.

On another note, when you come here you'll have to join us at one of the cake clubs. Tammy mentioned them both. The Westside Cake Club is in Glendale. This club hosts the annual Cake & Sugar Art Show. And the other is the Confection Connection Cake Club in Mesa. I am the webmaster and newsletter editor for both clubs, the event coordinator for the Westside club and on the cake show committee so I stay very active with both clubs. So if you ever have questions about them, just ask. Here are the links to the websites for more info.
http://www.freewebs.com/westsidecakeclub/
and
http://www.freewebs.com/confectionconnection/

Be sure to let us know when you move!
KimAZ

CambriasCakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 7:05am
post #10 of 16

Hey Rocketgirl,

I think you're going to like it here! I've lived in Phoenix for 10 years now and I love it. The heat was really hard for me to get used to though because I moved here from the beautiful Central Coast area of CA, where the hottest it ever gets is right around 80 and even that's a rare occurance! So I don't know if you ever "get used to it" like everyone always told me I would, but it definitely gets more bearable.

The landscape is gorgeous, the monsoons are awesome but we do get a little bit humid here during that season which makes me have "Monica" hair. Hate that!

I live in the West Valley so I can't really tell you much about Mesa or the metro area.

Good luck to you!

p/s: Did our Cardinals play their hearts out yesterday or what?? I'm so bummed!! icon_cry.gif

Rocketgirl899 Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 16

KimAZ!

Thanks for the links. I would love to join a club when i get out there! fun. Thanks for the links I will be checking them out next. I know I might not be asking the right questions so if theres any "you gotta know this!" I would love any info you can give me.

CambriasCakes:
What part of CA.. my bf was just told to look at sacramento for jobs, plus the weather seems less extreme. So while I thought we had fully decided on AZ, i promised him I would look alil more into Sacramento. But I know AZians are SO nice already(thanks guys!).. gonna be tuff... plus i have only lived in states with no income tax, and CA is like 6-9% depending on what you make! Geeze. So I know its going to be more expensive... but anyway thats another post icon_biggrin.gif

The cardinals put in a good game... I HATE! the steelers.. im a big Seahawk fan (as I lived in seattle for 16 years).

As long as everything goes as planned I plan to be moved in and working by June 1st. ahh not too far away! Ill keep you updated.

Oh another question, you guys big on yard sale and thift stores? Gotta furnish my first place with something, andn relocating is expensive! Plus I am handy with most DIY projects.

Trying to decide if I should bring my bedroom furniture (using a PODS type moving thing) or just re-buy. Set is worth about $1500 (yay for parents), and took me 4 years to finally find something i loved. I'd hate to leave it here, I would hate more to have to look to buy new stuff that i acutally like.

How much do you spend on AC on average for the hot months? mind telling me what you keep the temp at and sq footage?

Are there lots of places that use solar? Or does anyone use solar? (I am kinda big into being eco friendly, I gotta make up for using a Million viva paper towels for decorating..lol).

mocakes Posted 3 Feb 2009 , 10:43pm
post #12 of 16

My first thought was "forget about that desert fever stuff....ever heard of RATTLESNAKES????" icon_eek.gif

(shuddering just thinking about them)

Rocketgirl899 Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:11am
post #13 of 16

lol... i guess i shouldn't laugh about rattle snakes... ive been to texas a few times and have no encounters.... i guess im thinking if i dont bother them.......

mocakes.. i like your avatar. I would put one up but it ALWAYS says my photos are too big icon_sad.gif

glendaleAZ Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:33am
post #14 of 16

Hi Rocketgirl899,

Not sure if you've tried this or not, but try doing a search on ccs website and you will find some help on shrinking your photo to make them the correct size for your avatar.

Tammy

mocakes Posted 4 Feb 2009 , 3:56pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketgirl899

lol... i guess i shouldn't laugh about rattle snakes... ive been to texas a few times and have no encounters.... i guess im thinking if i dont bother them.......

mocakes.. i like your avatar. I would put one up but it ALWAYS says my photos are too big icon_sad.gif

Thanks Rocketgirl899! I had trouble before too but I found a place to shrink pics.... www.shrinkpictures.com

Good luck!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 5 Feb 2009 , 12:44am
post #16 of 16

yay! I used shrinkphoto and it was super easy! Now I have a photo!!!!

I use photoshop all the time, I guess I just wasn't making it small enough. hehe.

Yay! Thank you icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%