What Is The Earliest You Would Bake A Cake?

Decorating By rocketgirl96 Updated 1 Feb 2009 , 5:18am by rocketgirl96

rocketgirl96 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 20

I am not a professional baker so I don't bake and decorate cakes on a regular basis. So, I'm used to just baking and decorating a cake the day before or the day of the event. I now have a baby though and I'm finding out that everything takes longer with a baby! icon_smile.gif It would really help me if I could do things in advance but I don't really have any idea how long is too long to have a cake sit out in various stages of the decorating process.....and still have it taste moist and delicious.

Thanks,
Christine

19 replies
janine1972 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:33pm
post #2 of 20

Hi Christine

I bake the day before or the day when the cake is due. Depending on the amount of work that needs to be done.
You could make some of the decorations, flowers etc before hand and then bake it the day before , cover and decorate, but if it is stuff that has to be made to go straight on the cake, i do it just after baking the cake - i like fresh cake.

Though i know there are a lot of ladies out there that bake their cakes eg monday and freeze them till the friday / saturday when needed - you could try that??

I hope there is someone with more information for you - i can only tell you how i do it - sorry!!
And good luck, it is hard work with a baby!!

janine

rvercher23 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 20

I am not sure of all the exacts, but for me, I bake wed for a sat wedding. I tort fill and ice on thursday, and decorate on Friday. HTH!

coffeecake Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:35pm
post #4 of 20

Keep in mind that the area you live and time of year may make a difference. Here in sunny, but seldom hot or humid California, for a large cake I typically bake on day (or evening) #1, decorate evening #2 and serve day #3 with no problems. Many people bake and freeze - I just do not have the freezer space !

Deb_ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 20

Hi Christine,

Congrats on your baby!

Before coming to CC I always baked and filled the cake tiers 1 day before the order and than frosted and decorated the day of pick -up. Except Wedding cakes, I baked those 3 days before the wedding, only because I needed more time to decorate. After reading so much about freezing layers I decided to try it.

I have to agree with the others........I couldn't tell the difference in freshness or taste in my cakes that had been frozen. So I now bake what I need for 2 weeks of orders, let them cool, wrap well (I have a food saver vacuum sealer) and freeze. If you don't have a vacuum sealer you can wrap the layers well in 2 layers of saran (plastic) wrap and 1 layer of aluminum foil.

I than make all the buttercream that I will need for those orders and freeze that in glad freezer (gallon) bags. When I need the BC, I pull out the bags in the morning and they defrost on the counter really fast. I than put the icing back in my KA and beat it for a couple of minutes and it's good to go.

I have only kept my layers frozen for 2 weeks, so I can't tell you from experience how they are if they're frozen for longer than that, but I'm sure others will be able to help with that.

HTH
Deb

terrylee Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:44pm
post #6 of 20

I usually bake day before....depending on the cake...wedding cakes I like 2 days so I can fill and crumb coat and allow to settle a bit... I never freeze my cakes.

jamiekwebb Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:02pm
post #7 of 20

Hi! Congrats on the baby! I have two little boys so I know what you are talking about. I usually bake several days in advance level or tort and then freeze each layer seperatly. I then will fill ,ice and decorate the day of or night before depending on what time it is needed. This weekend I have a cake due around 11 Sat. I will do it Sat morning. I am usually up and started by 8. Hope that this helps. It's a small cake too.

bashini Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 20

Hi, I always bake my cakes two days ahead. I bake the cake on a thursday for saturday. In the night I torte and fill and let it settle overnight. Then friday morning, crumbcoat and cover with fondant and decorate. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 11:12pm
post #9 of 20

The freezer is your friend! icon_biggrin.gif Bake ahead and freeze. Make icing ahead and have it ready. You'll be AMAZED how fast the decorating/assembly takes when you set up the assembly line! thumbs_up.gif

niccicola Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:08am
post #10 of 20

I am on a 3 2 1 method. Mostly because I like to take my time, and always leave myself room for error.

3 days before the event (usually Wed.) bake EVERYTHING, make all the buttercream I could poassibly need, get cake boards ready.

2 days before (Thu) level, torte, fill, crumb coat, & fondant if necessary

1 day before the event (Fri) decorate. I'm almost always on this day leaving me plenty of time, but I know if i don't give myself time, something will happen and I'll be without it!

Mencked Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:20am
post #11 of 20

I too used to be afraid to freeze my cakes, but let me tell you--the cakes taste great even when frozen. While I don't have a baby to contend with, I do have a full-time job, 1 kid still at home, and not enough time in a day--so I have to bake ahead and freeze. For weddings I usually bake the weekend before. If they are to be filled only with BC, I fill them, then double wrap in Sam's wrap (plastic wrap) and foil. Pull them out to defrost Wed. night, all day Thursday and then I'm set to frost on Thurs. PM, decorate on Fri PM and deliver on Sat. If I'm not going the freezing route I bake on Wed the follow the same schedule. I often wonder how I'll do it when I can do this gig full time!

Marianna46 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 4:37am
post #12 of 20

I've frozen cakes on occasion, and they're indistinguishable from the fresh-baked ones, as long as you let them come to room temperature before doing anything with them (either wrapped or not). Which is why I wonder why I don't do it more often. I probably will now that I'm decorating more often. But I do a lot of decorating in an extremely hot and humid place, and freezing in advance works there as well as in cool and dry Mexico City. Thanks to CC, I finally found out why my buttercream wouldn't sit up in hot and humid weather (I was using too much butter and not enough shortening), so I think I may be OK from here on out.

jamiekwebb Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 12:55pm
post #13 of 20

I always decorate mine while they are frozen or cold. I find them easier to work with. I also always get them done with enough time for them to thaw before cutting. You can't tell the difference. I just think that it is easier to put icing on a frozen cake and you also don't have to worry about them tearing, cracking or breaking on you. Just the way I do it.

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:06pm
post #14 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketgirl96

....and I'm finding out that everything takes longer with a baby

Yeppers to that. I try to do everything while he takes a nap, or wait until he goes to bed. Males it easier on everyone involved.

Deb_ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:10pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

I always decorate mine while they are frozen or cold. I find them easier to work with. I also always get them done with enough time for them to thaw before cutting. You can't tell the difference. I just think that it is easier to put icing on a frozen cake and you also don't have to worry about them tearing, cracking or breaking on you. Just the way I do it.

Thanks for that info., I always wondered about when the cake starts defrosting if the moisture/condensation would cause the icing to pull away from the cake. You didn't mention this as being a problem so I guess it doesn't. I'd especially like to do this w/ my chocolate cakes.
Thanks again!

jamiekwebb Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:17pm
post #16 of 20

I've never had it happen to me, so I would say that it's not a proble,. Knowing my luck though it will probably happen to the next one I do.... LOL hope not. Will let you know if it does.

Marianna46 Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:14pm
post #17 of 20

A question for you, jamiekwebb. Does this work for both fondant and buttercream? If so, you've just saved me hours of waiting for the cakes to come to room temperature. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

jamiekwebb Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 8:43pm
post #18 of 20

I don't know.I've never tried covering one with fondant while frozen. I don't see why not though. I would think that if you iced it with buttercream before covering it would still work... hmmm.

indydebi Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 10:24pm
post #19 of 20

Cakes only take mnutes to thaw ... unlike hamburger that takes all day. Small cakes, I start working with those inside of 15-20 minutes. larger tiers (like 14"), I can start working with them in about an hour.

rocketgirl96 Posted 1 Feb 2009 , 5:18am
post #20 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie85364

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketgirl96

....and I'm finding out that everything takes longer with a baby

Yeppers to that. I try to do everything while he takes a nap, or wait until he goes to bed. Males it easier on everyone involved.

Hahaha. If only I didn't have a velcro-baby. Lately, he's only wanted to take naps on me and he also goes to bed the same time we do, so there hasn't been much "me" time of late. I can't really complain though - they're only this small once. icon_smile.gif I'll just have to plan better. icon_smile.gif

Thanks everyone for all the replies! It helps to know I'm not the only one that takes days to get a cake done. hahaha

Christine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%