Getting My Dept. Of Health Inspection

Business By todolomio Updated 27 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm by leah_s

todolomio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
todolomio Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:34pm
post #1 of 13

On Monday afternoon I got a phone call from the health inspector and he had a open slot for Thursday morning icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif So, I said yes and stressed all week. Today, he called and said he will be in tomorrow. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I have almost had to duck tape my three kids to the wall to keep everything in place . (kidding icon_rolleyes.gif ) Anyway, any suggestion on what should be top notch?

Thanks,

12 replies
SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:39pm
post #2 of 13

Good luck! I know I have the same problem with my kids! LOL! Duct taping to the wall, good idea! LOL! icon_biggrin.gif

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by todolomio

On Monday afternoon I got a phone call from the health inspector and he had a open slot for Thursday morning icon_eek.gificon_eek.gif So, I said yes and stressed all week. Today, he called and said he will be in tomorrow. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I have almost had to duck tape my three kids to the wall to keep everything in place . (kidding icon_rolleyes.gif ) Anyway, any suggestion on what should be top notch?

Thanks,

I was in this same boat two Thursdays ago. I passes with flying colors and I'm sure you will too.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 13

You guys get calls? The bakery I worked at didn't get a heads up. Try being in the middle of decorating and the phone ringing off the hook while some guy in a suit is asking you questions about sanitizer pH, proper hand washing, expiration dates, blah blah blah.

todolomio Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetlayers

Quote:

Thanks,

I was in this same boat two Thursdays ago. I passes with flying colors and I'm sure you will too.

Congratulations on passing your inspection!!! Any hints?

sweetlayers Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:23pm
post #6 of 13
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,

Honestly-

I just cleaned everything the way my grandmother would. I got on my hands and knees and cleaned the little handprints from my babies.

I got rid of clutter and used more clorox than normal.

I scrubbed baseboards and made sure I had separate shelves in my freezer, fridge and pantry for my cake stuff. Also, my husband bought me a giant shelf where I now put my clean pans and decorating utensils.

I did purchase two thermometers for my freezer and fridge to make sure they were holding temperature properly.

Please make sure that the place you prep your cakes has a light with a shield on it and that your water gets HOT. Those were very important to my inspector.

Also, I had to make sure the nearest bathroom to my kitchen was clean and working properly. So I just did the same thing with that which was easy because we barely ever use that one.

My inspector was not intrusive at all. But I was glad I went the extra-extra mile because it gives me peace of mind and it really looks good!

todolomio Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 10:27pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Thanks,

Cleaning is a done deal (I'm a little OCD so, thats covered) But, hmm I did not think about the thermometer. What type should I get and where can I buy them?

Thanks for the info...

Honestly-

I just cleaned everything the way my grandmother would. I got on my hands and knees and cleaned the little handprints from my babies.

I got rid of clutter and used more clorox than normal.

I scrubbed baseboards and made sure I had separate shelves in my freezer, fridge and pantry for my cake stuff. Also, my husband bought me a giant shelf where I now put my clean pans and decorating utensils.

I did purchase two thermometers for my freezer and fridge to make sure they were holding temperature properly.

Please make sure that the place you prep your cakes has a light with a shield on it and that your water gets HOT. Those were very important to my inspector.

Also, I had to make sure the nearest bathroom to my kitchen was clean and working properly. So I just did the same thing with that which was easy because we barely ever use that one.

My inspector was not intrusive at all. But I was glad I went the extra-extra mile because it gives me peace of mind and it really looks good!

todolomio Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 13

Yeah!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I passed the inspection. I'm so excited now, I got to roll up my sleeves and get to work.

Thanks for all the hints!

sweetlayers Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 3:51pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:

Yeah!!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif I passed the inspection. I'm so excited now, I got to roll up my sleeves and get to work.

Thanks for all the hints!

Congrats and best of luck to you and your business!

amberlee416 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amberlee416 Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 7:17am
post #10 of 13

light with a sheild on it? So soes this mean the regular ceiling light isnt good enough? I'm sorry this may be a stupid question but sometimes i'm easily confused.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 1:27pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amberlee416

light with a sheild on it? So soes this mean the regular ceiling light isnt good enough? I'm sorry this may be a stupid question but sometimes i'm easily confused.

I think the purpose is to make sure that if the light bulb shatters, it does not go anywhere. As long as it is not an exposed bulb you are ok. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

deb12g Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb12g Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 5:43pm
post #12 of 13

Yes, the sheild is there to prevent glass from flying in the food in case the bulb pops, explodes, or anything like that. I got my covers at Lowe's - don't remember how much, but they are really inexpensive. It's just a plastic sleeve that fits over the fluorescent bulb.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 27 Feb 2009 , 6:43pm
post #13 of 13

1. There's something wrong with duct taping kids to the wall? huh.

2. I just passed my recent re-inspection (every 6 months) this week also.

3. Yes they call you if you're home based. Because otherwise they wouldn't know if you were home or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%