Need Help With Modeling Chocolate... Stat!!!!

Sugar Work By mommyle Updated 13 Dec 2012 , 9:44pm by flourconfections

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:18pm
post #1 of 15

My Modeling chocolate is a bit hard and brittle (2 other batches turned out perfectly the same day!!!). Should I just be melting it down and adding more corn syrup???

PLEASE help me!!! icon_cry.gif

TIA

14 replies
mommyle Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 5:23am
post #2 of 15

PLEASE, PLEASE!!!! Help!!!! I still haven't touched it. I've been waiting on your help1!!

SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:12pm
post #3 of 15

I haven't had this problem so I'm not sure what should be done...

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 15

Could you try popping it in the microwave for a few seconds? I usually soften fondant in there for 15 to 30 seconds on 10% or 20% power. Just watch it carefully and test it before picking it up.

HTH,
Susan

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 2:36pm
post #5 of 15

First I would try putting in the microwave for just a few seconds to soften it up enough to roll out. My candy clay is always hard, but it softens as I kneed (or microwave) it. If it still isn't soft after trying the microwave, then I would semi-melt it and add more corn syrup.

mommyle Posted 31 Jan 2009 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 15

Thank you all!!! I'll be working with it later today, and I'll try that!
Thanks again!!!

MYCHEFTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYCHEFTX Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 15

Hummm...I belive the problem is that the fat is separtating from the chocolate . When this happends it dries out and becomes briddle. This usually happens when you aggitae the chocolate too soon before it gets a full resting period. Of coarse this when you use real chocolate. If you are try letting it rest 24hrs. Then cut into chunks and microwave a few seconds to soften and knead into a smooth mass and its ready to use!

Chef Cindy icon_biggrin.gif

gerripje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gerripje Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:09pm
post #8 of 15

At the risk of sounding really dumb, what is modelling chocolate? Is it just regular chocolate with corn syrup like candy clay? I got a really good deal on some Bernard...I mean Barry Calebaut chocolate at my grocery store, so if you need really good quality, I've got some now!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:14pm
post #9 of 15

When I make modelling chocolate, it gets pretty hard but as I knead it, it softens right up. The first time I used modelling chocolate, it was supplied by Bronwen Weber in a class. It was really cold that morning and it took forever to get it warmed up. YOu can microwave but only a little or it will get too soft.

mommyle Posted 17 Feb 2009 , 9:31pm
post #10 of 15

Thanks guys! I ended up using it as poop. I was able to soften it in the micro and mold it. Otherwise it was too dry and crumbly. But try convincing someone to eat chocolate poop. Most of them gag. It's really funny!!!!

sweets77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweets77 Posted 26 Feb 2011 , 7:58am
post #11 of 15

I mixed my dry modeling chocolate with mmf. I used equal amounts and it turned out great!

Hannelie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hannelie Posted 7 Mar 2011 , 6:51am
post #12 of 15

Hi, my chocolate moddeling paste becomes very sticky and too soft to work with. What can I do?

hannahcalhoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hannahcalhoon Posted 11 Dec 2012 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 15

ASo I let mine set up and it's to the point where when I try to mess with it it breaks off! Should I soften it and then try to knead it? Or should I soften it and add corn syrup?? Please help I need the answer SOON like by tonight! Help me please :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Dec 2012 , 3:53am
post #14 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannahcalhoon 

So I let mine set up and it's to the point where when I try to mess with it it breaks off! Should I soften it and then try to knead it? Or should I soften it and add corn syrup?? Please help I need the answer SOON like by tonight! Help me please icon_smile.gif

Break off a piece and knead it, the warmth of your hands should soften it up. If it wo't come together you can try to add a little shortening to it while you knead it.

flourconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourconfections Posted 13 Dec 2012 , 9:44pm
post #15 of 15

I'm sure it's too late for your emergency. However, Lauren Kitchens did 2 youtube videos on "how to" and "how NOT to" make modeling chocolate... Which may help with the diagnosis, so to speak.

I'm not sure if I can link straight to youtube... You can find it in google, just try; lauren kitchens modeling chocolate youtube.

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%