What Do You Do When...

Business By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 30 Jan 2009 , 6:46pm by KHalstead

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 17

your client writes you a bad check for the deposit on the cake and you get your money (in cash) but the cake is due in three days and you have to bake before you can get the balance due. I guess I'm just worried that I will not get the balance. When i show up with cake I expect payment then. Have you ever had to NOT leave the cake? I haven't and I don't know if I could if faced with that situation but hey, my friends would love me for the cake! icon_smile.gif LOL! In my contract I have that the balance is due upon receipt of cake, maybe I should change that to the week before the cake is due! Ahhh! Live and learn I guess.

Anyway, any insigt into what you do will be helpful!

16 replies
-Tubbs Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 6:53pm
post #2 of 17

Oh, yikes! I know exactly what all the pros will say, and I think you do too (Debi's mom-finger's a-coming your way).

I guess I would talk to the client to make sure that they understand that unless there is an envelope with your name on it when you deliver, that cake won't be coming out of the car. Is it a wedding? I'd say take someone with you to help you be brave if either there is no cash left for you, or if it's another (potentially dodgy) cheque. Also, don't take the cake in until you're paid - much harder to back out with a cake already there.

Then, whatever the outcome, go home and change your contract! Good luck!

Auryn Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:20pm
post #3 of 17

make sure that envelope contains cash
no checks, no cashier check, no money

cold hard cash money only.
And be prepared to walk away with your cake if there is no cash.

If I were you I would bring some big burly friends with you just in case.

Next time around, change your contract that the balance is due in cash a week or two before delivery.

classiccake Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:35pm
post #4 of 17

First of all, brides have enough to think about on the day of their wedding without worrying about paying for the cake. Most brides are not even at the reception site when the cakes are delivered.

Secondly, you have enough to worry about other than collecting money the day of delivery.

Thirdly, why would you bake, decorate, and deliver something with out a guarantee that it is paid for?

Change your contract immediately!!

LKing12 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:39pm
post #5 of 17

Call the bride/customer and explain that you need the CASH today-or no cake. NO sense in pleasing your friends with your money and time.
CALL NOW!
Contract should read balance due within 14 days of delivery, that gives checks time to clear.
CALL NOW!!

Rocketgirl899 Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 17

id call and tell em the check bounce.. and say that in order to make their cake you will require them to pay in cash (tell the the remaining total).

Change your rules. It is always better to make exceptions.

I ask for payment in full 1 week before. The deposit is about 25 % this would cover any products i have to order over the net.

if its not ALL there take your cake and make your friends happy.

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:44pm
post #7 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetOccasionCakes

In my contract I have that the balance is due upon receipt of cake

AAAAGGGH!! Never, never, never!! Yes, change this as soon as possible! icon_smile.gif

aggiechef Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:52pm
post #8 of 17

I have in my contract that payment is due in full 3 weeks before the wedding, that way if there's a problem, I have time to resolve it with the bride.

I allow brides to pay by check, until I get a bad check from someone. If I ever do, I'll change my contract to be cash only. Right now, I like to believe that no one would give me a bad check.

__Jamie__ Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 7:57pm
post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by aggiechef

Right now, I like to believe that no one would give me a bad check.

Man oh man. We went by that policy ourselves at my 9 to 5. $5000+ in bad checks later.....we went to cash and cc policy.

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 17

Thank you ALL so very much! I guess I didn't really think that whole thing through. I will definately change my contract NOW! I feel so silly for thinking that would be ok! Ugh!

And, btw, it is a cake for a 25th anniversary party and the client is my former realtor!

Ayanami Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:19pm
post #11 of 17

Jamie85364 wrote

Quote:
Quote:

Man oh man. We went by that policy ourselves at my 9 to 5. $5000+ in bad checks later.....we went to cash and cc policy

My J.O.B. accepts checks from companies that have set up a Net30 charge account with us & let me tell you. Not even those big shot corporations know how to pay their bills on time or how to balance a check book even. Do these big corps think that the electric company would let them slide by with not paying their bills for 90-120 days? I DON'T THINK SO! Those %^&*$% would be in the f**king dark! Grrrrrrr. icon_mad.gificon_mad.gificon_mad.gif

icon_redface.gif sorry! got a bit sidetracked. icon_redface.gif I just can't stand people who blatanly take advantage of a financial situation by openly & knowingly refuse to pay their bill that they rightfully owe you. Not that this is what your cust did to you. It may have been a book keeping error on her part in her check book. It happens to the best of us. But yes, definately get the balance BEFORE you begin decorating the cake. No $ up front, no cake.

I'm done! icon_rolleyes.gif

KHalstead Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:28pm
post #12 of 17

I have in my policy that payment is due 2 weeks before the wedding (birthday cakes and such I don't even take a deposit on even though a lot of them are for more than 100.00) I always took the attitude that I would give everyone the benefit of the doubt until someone passed a bad check or stiffed me for a cake.......and it just happened w/ my last wedding cake......I'm still owed 65.00 for delivery costs and I will betcha I'm never gonna see it! So now, there are no exceptions and I"m also letting people know that for ANY type of cake over 100.00 they have to pay 1/2 when they place the order and the remainder upon delivery.....for wedding cakes though (because you generally don't come in contact w/ the person that ordered when you're delivering) I require full payment 2 weeks prior to the date.

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 8:35pm
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

for ANY type of cake over 100.00 they have to pay 1/2 when they place the order and the remainder upon delivery.....for wedding cakes though (because you generally don't come in contact w/ the person that ordered when you're delivering) I require full payment 2 weeks prior to the date.

So do you have two different contracts, one for weddings and one for others or do you just change it up a little to fit the occasion. Right now I only have one contract and it covers all cakes, although I do just put an n/a in the deposit field if it does not require one. Hmmm, gonna have to take a look at my contract!

chutzpah Posted 29 Jan 2009 , 9:26pm
post #14 of 17

I have payment due on wedding cakes FIVE weeks before said event.

cakesbycathy Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 1:01am
post #15 of 17

For weddings I require a 50% non-refundable deposit and the balance is due 3 weeks before the wedding.

For other cake or cookie orders, 50% non-refundable deposit and the balance is due at time of pick-up and delivery.

I do accept checks (I go to their bank and cash it whenever possible and then deposit the cash into my account). My policy is that if the check bounces then they owe me the amount in cash plus a $30 NSF fee. I will only accept cash from them from then on.

I've only had a problem once, MOG wrote deposit check. Went to her bank to cash it. Not enough funds. Called MOG and told her she needed to bring me cash and I would return the check. Told her that her date was not considered booked, since technically I had not received a deposit. She brought me cash the same day.

Deb_ Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 2:27am
post #16 of 17

Haven't people heard of Overdraft Protection? I guess they enjoy paying their financial institution all those NSF fes.

I would recommend calling the person who placed the order and explain to them that since their deposit check bounced that you will need cash for the balance. Call tomorrow so they will be able to get the cash without any excuses.

Good luck

KHalstead Posted 30 Jan 2009 , 6:46pm
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetOccasionCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by KHalstead

for ANY type of cake over 100.00 they have to pay 1/2 when they place the order and the remainder upon delivery.....for wedding cakes though (because you generally don't come in contact w/ the person that ordered when you're delivering) I require full payment 2 weeks prior to the date.

So do you have two different contracts, one for weddings and one for others or do you just change it up a little to fit the occasion. Right now I only have one contract and it covers all cakes, although I do just put an n/a in the deposit field if it does not require one. Hmmm, gonna have to take a look at my contract!

I don't have 2 contracts, just one for the wedding cakes....I do have an occasional cake form for cakes that aren't for weddings but people want to meet up with me to discuss details and so forth...but I don't use it very often.
Basically when someone orders let's say a 3-D carved cake and it's going to be $150.00........they have to pay me $75.00 at the time of the order and I write them out a receipt. I have cake boss so I really just keep track of everything on there and print them out an invoice showing what's been paid and what is owed still and give that to them in an envelope when I deliver the cake along with a business card! Works for me........now that Im requiring the money ahead because of one customer's non payment. Everyone has to pay for one person's mistake I guess. I probably should've been requiring money up front before but I always like to give people the benefit of the doubt!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%